Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Recognising and managing mania // 28 March, 7 - 9pm AEDT

Hi @SusanaBA and @Galaxyofthelost,

just to clarify the content of last post...

both bi-polar 1 and 2 can expereince shifts between phases of ill health and well-being. The duration of any given phase is not set in stone and varies across different people, and at different times. There is no set pattern in the order of the phases.

bipolar is not always a life-long thing and recovery is possible

there is an additional diagnositc 'label' which can be applied to both bipolar1 and 2 (but this is not essential or applied to everyone). This relates to the phase shifts; ie: seasonal or cyclical (rapid or longer-term) phases

Ive attached a document, which provides further information.

also here's a link to SANE information re bipolar-disorder (this will open in a new page)

Hi, I only hit the like button to register after it had started and have not received an email - is it possible to join the topic/follow the forum after it has already begun or am I too late?

Thanks

@JRice wrote:

Hi, I only hit the like button to register after it had started and have not received an email - is it possible to join the topic/follow the forum after it has already begun or am I too late?

Thanks

nope, just in time @JRice!

Good evening! 

Welcome tonight's Topic Tuesday on Managing mania with our special guests @SusanaBA and @davidharper_bal.

Here's a call out to those who rsvp'd @Charli @Galaxyofthelost @Jess2 @Carla @Scrambledeggs17 @Froggett @Koya @KMac @elisa @Nikkir @DEDE1389 @Former-Member @BleuBlancRouge @Kurra @Timtam @mrkotter @Shaz51 @BlueBay @Mazarita.

@SusanaBA and @davidharper_bal, tell us about yourselves.

I’m Susana Bluwol, the executive director of Bipolar Australia. I was diagnosed with Bipolar back in 1997, and have been working with community groups since 2004. I founded Bipolar Australia in 2014 to bring the good news of recovery from bipolar to every one of the 568,000 Australians affected by this condition, as well as all of their families and carers.

Welcome to the conversation @JRice! Not too late to join in, the discussion is open to anyone from 7 - 9pm AEDT. 

I’m David Harper, and I am the acting senior coordinator for Bipolar Australia. I have a background in Information Technology and mental health, and joined Bipolar Australia in March 2015. I’ve been working with community groups for almost a decade, and currently sit on the board of WayAhead, the Mental Health Association of NSW.

@SusanaBA can you tell us abit about your experience of mania?

Also, anyone who has experienced mania, please tell of your experience too!

A lot of people enjoy the mania because they are more productive. I project managed the formation of an entire childcare centre from scratch in six weeks. But most people also have some embarrassing stories to tell, and particularly about how their strange behaviour negatively affected themselves or their families. The first time I became manic I was in the United States, and decided I needed to go to the White House and tell the president to bring world peace. I got sent home, and lost my scholarship as a result. Another time, I bought an expensive fashion shoot on my husband’s credit card. The photos were really great. The bill not so much. So while I think I enjoyed the mania at the time, looking back it wasn’t so great.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance