Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

CherryBomb
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Recognising and managing mania // 28 March, 7 - 9pm AEDT

LE Topic Tuesday banner.jpg

Recognising and managing mania

To coincide with World Bipolar Day, this Topic Tuesday, we're going to discuss how to recognise the symptoms of mania, how to manage it, and what to do after a manic episode. We'll be joined by special guests, @SusanaBA and @davidharper_bal from Bipolar Australia, a peak body organisation that offers support and services to people living with bipolar. 

Join the conversation, March 28th 7 - 9pm AEDT

1) Hit the 'Like' button below to receive an email reminder on the night

2.) Can't make the session? Leave your question below to be answered during the session

180 REPLIES 180

Re: Topic Tuesday // Recognising and managing mania // 28 March, 7 - 9pm AEDT

Hi @CherryBomb

Can I pls ask? - does BPD and Bipolar have similar symptoms; and if so then what are the differences?

@BlueBay I look forward to speaking with you on the night. For now I suggest you seek Drs advise.

Hi Cherry Bomb, unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge about PBD to compare with bipolar disorder. Is this is someting you are questioning about your own diagnosis? If so, I suggest to do the bipolar test, by Black Dog Institute, with your GP., they all be given access to it and help their patients. Then you can talk with the Dr. about PBD. All the best.

Hi, I was just wondering what differentiates Bipolar 1 from Bipolar 2 Disorder? Is it because the manic phases are different?
Thank you

Hi @Galaxyofthelost,

Yep, your own answer sums it up nicely. To extend on that a bit, people who expereince bi-polar 2 and bi-polar 1 both experience periods of clinical depression, the key difference between thebi-polar 1 and 2 relates to the non-depressive phases. People who expereince bi-polar 2 tend to have what they call 'hypomanic phases'. This is different from the 'manic/mania phases' of bi-polar 1.

Some of the key things that differentiate hypomania from mania is the intensity of the hypomanic/manic periods, the presence of delusional or psychotic thoughts and behaviours (more to do with mania), the real-life outcomes of hypomanic/manic periods eg being hospitalised or locked-up/illegal activcies (more to do with mania). 

Hi @Galaxyofthelost,

I should add that if someone expereinces symptoms of a manic episode which are directly related to alcohol or other drug use than this should not be considered as a manic episode, and therefore a clinician should be extremely careful about making an incorrect diagnosis of mania. This could have have major repercussions in terms accessing the appropriate treatment and support.

Is delisional thinking, paranoia, hallucinating visual and auditory a symptom of bi polar.
Also how does bi polar effect a person whom has low iq in relation to insight and understanding and concepts and treatment associated with bipolar.

Hi @Scrambledeggs17,

All the symptoms you mentioned may, or may not, be expereinced by different people who expereince bipolar 1; generally bi-polar 2 does not include the symptoms you mentioned.

Not everyone expereinces exactly the same symptoms. People may expereince some symptoms from a possible range of symptoms, but not expereince others from the range of possible symptoms. 

Bipolar may affect insight and understanding, in different ways at different times whilst experiencing period(s) of adverse symptoms. This might lead to periods of greater insight (generally depressive phases), or alternatively periods of less insight (generally manic phases); but this is not a hard-and-fast rule

...everyone is different to some extent in their expereinces and the way the cope with them and supports. 

...and any one person may cope with their individual expereinces and respond to supports in different ways at different times.

Hi Galaxy,

The main diference there is, is that B I reaches major depression and could reach all the way to psychosis( loosing touch with reality) The episode are very serious, but when managed, you could go without a relaps for 20 years, if any

B2 range between moderate depression to hypomania, some times mania, but the episods are more often. they could be seasonal, weekly, in a day for some. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance