Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // PTSD & Post Traumatic Growth // Tues 20 Feb, 7pm AEDT

I suffer from C-PSTD amongst other things. Interested in PTG so will be following along tonight

PTG is not about what we 'lose' as a result of PTSD but what we gain - ie. insight, empathy, understanding etc. 

I was diagnosed with CPTSD several years ago - from prolonged childhood abuse, which spanned 20 years (or more).

Adge

I tend to agree with you @CheerBear

Before I get too far into individual replies, here are the areas where PTG is most often reported:

- A greater sense of strength and capabilities

- The opening up of new possibilities: over-time the trauma can change priorities which can lead to new values, goals and directions.

- Improved relationships: people report valuing their close relationships more highly and investing more time in them

- Greater appreciation for life: a sense of wonder and gratitude can be sharpened by the experience of trauma

- A new or stronger spirituality

There's a psychometric scale these days to measure it.  I hadn't thought to see if it's publicly available but I'll check that out later and add a link if so.

@BlueBay I think your psychologist means you have C-PTSD due to the two events of the abuse and your mum. It's like I have C-PTSD (aka BPD) due to childhood abuse, a massive number of repeated losses, being in an abusive relationship with my psychologist for 16 years, and most recently, churning through 12 therapists in 2 years culminating in the great wrongness of the wrong. Lots of different events, only one C-PTSD. That is what the C stands for - complex!!! Smiley Happy

im lost now

I definitely highly value my close relationships, I always have.

Some of my friendships have been very long-term, although there is only a few of them.

Adge

so @suzanne i guess you need to have lots of therapy to get to this point of where you can turn your life into a positive.

That's a really interesting list @suzanne. What stands out to me about it is that they often seem to also be some of the same areas in which traumatic experiences hits the hardest.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance