Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // OCD from an insiders perspective // 1 Aug, 7pm AEST

Thanks @Tim_H

Maybe we should start with something that @Ngunjima touched on at the start, which is the public's perception of  OCD - @Tim_H could you share a bit about the difference between your experience of OCD and the common public perception of the illness.

For others watching, feel free to share yours or your loved one's experience too!

Thanks Tim,

Great to hear someone talking about OCD,

I am interested in hearing about your stratagies in dealing with your particular symptoms of OCD.

I am not here because i have, or I know anyone who has experience with OCD. I am a social work student who is keen in learning about OCD from a professional as well as an experienced person's point of view 

In the past few years the common perception of OCD has certainly been that it's simply a desire to perform a narrow range of psychical compulsions, usually checking or cleaning. After which the urge will simple dissapear.

The issue with this and the difference in my experience is:

1) Compulsions can take many forms (psychical, mental, avoidance etc).

2) The obsession or the 'thought' is for me almost constant, with any compulsion providing only temporary relief.

So my experience is one of near constant obsessive thoughts and anxiety (for close to 30 years now). As oppose to the perception of very short term/temporary distress

@Unqualified wrote:

Hi, I have three (possibly 4, but too early to tell) people with OCD in my family. I feel like it is completely ruling my life. I look forward to this event.

Look forward to hearing your experience.

Thanks @Tim_H for the insight
@Ngunjima you mentioned the popular culture perception of OCD. Would you be open to sharing abit about your experiences? How you would explain your experience of OCD to a friend perhaps?

Hi Ngunjima,

For the past 15 years I've had regular visits with a pyschiatrist (every 3 weeks). The standard treatments of medication and ERP (exposure and response prevention) have been very helpful.

However something that has been a huge benefit is learning about the biology of OCD. What exactly is happening in my brain.

Accepting that my brain is constantly sending false messgaes really helps. Along with the knowledge that they'll always be there and not to try and make them go away.

There are so many perceptions of OCD that you just like things 'clean' or 'tidy', whereas in the real world, you get extreme anxiety & panic if things aren't done right, not just cleanliness

I have struggled with OCD among other things for about 7 years now, I'm finding more now that all my other illnesses have formed as a coping mechanism from my OCD

Absolutely @Katie0024
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance