Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Navigating work life and mental health // Tues 17 Sep, 7pm AEST

@Lauz I think with interviews the anxiety is lessened if the interviewer is less clinical (maybe not the right word) but if they make you feel a bit more comfortable by being relateable. I always think I do worse in an interview than I actually do. I don't entirely agree with an interview process for a job because half the time someone that does really well in an interview can be a not so good employee and vice versa. Majority of the time someone may interview poorly but given the chance become a really great employee. And there is nothing worse than a panel interview these should just not exist 🤦‍♀️

Re: Topic Tuesday // Navigating work life and mental health // Tues 17 Sep, 7pm AEST

@cutiepiekitty that is really positive to be aware of wanting to get to a place of trust - doing that 'hard work' is so important (well done for working on it and connecting to support!) to help you get there and really that is definately a transferable skill around perservereing, self awareness and goal setting

Lots of pressures @Lauz 

At first when we started we would say yes to every job we could 

Over the years we have felt guilty for not taking on jobs 

Feeling anxious if we don't do a good job , even though we always did our best 

I find 'Interview' anything massively difficult as far as anxiety goes @Lauz. I had quite a lengthy process to go through to get my volunteer position including a couple of interviews, and I almost gave up lots of times because of that.

I found it really helpful to have someone (a support worker) take me to the in-person interview to help settle nerves before hand, to ease my worry about driving in and actually physically getting there, and to debrief with afterwards.

One of my big issues was/is confidence so it helped me to talk with people who believed in me and who could help me identify some strengths I could take into the process and into the work.

It wasn't exactly meant as a tip, but a former manager once said that "interviews are like exams - probably not a great way at evaluating someone's knowledge, but the best we've got".

Treating the interview as an "imperfect test" might help. That is, you aren't there to answer every question perfectly, but to show that you would fit in the role. This might include having a personality that works with the other team members, showing some insight about yourself, or even showing that you DON'T know something but can handle that in an appropriate manner.

I hate panel interviews @Lauz  very stressful.  I remember my mouth was so dry I could hardly talk. 

Really interesting insights into interviews here everyone. Like you said @Fracturedlight interview processes aren't always the best way, its a valid point and I hope as we get more and more aware of making opportunities more accesible to all that we get to a point of having different ways of applying for a role available. Like some of you have mentioned that one on one or panel set up might not suit you or might make you feel quite triggered. The weight of that word like you have said @CheerBear in itself can be too heavy and again - hopefully we can all see some changes as we advocate and reduce stigmas and get better mental health awareness in workplaces too.

@CheerBear you've mentioned some great tips here - speaking to someone supportive to remind you of your strengths is a good one. It can be easy to forget yourself in the situation. Bringing a support worker or someone you trust with you is also a good way to make the process more comfortable and often it is okay to speak to the potential employer about doing such things or anything else that might help - such as clarifying what kind of room you will be in or how many people you are going to be chatting to. 

Preparation can really help like the above- other ways to prepare might be doing a trial run of getting to the location. 

@cutiepiekitty I hear you. I too find it so hard to be anywhere I don't know and around anyone I don't know. I struggle to sit or stand if my back is not against a wall, struggle to knock on a door or push a buzzer to be let in anywhere, struggle to sit around people I don't know let alone talk with them... it's all hard! Having a supportive 'safe' person with me was so helpful. Just knowing she was there to catch me if I fell made it feel more doable.

@CheerBear exactly. When I went into the first counselling session I nearly left. Same with other appointments/interviews. I know the office staff in the building they come to, so one kept me there and walked to the door of the room to get me there. And she met me with a hug after coming out. Knowing there is someone there for support does help.

Hi @Lauz  I’m going to go. It’s too fast for me tonight. I can’t concentrate. 

Great topic. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance