Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Men's Mental Health and Peer Support // Tues 9th March, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

Thanks @Daisydreamer I didn't know this was on, I couldn't make it anyway 7pm is always hard but I will read back. Thank you 

Re: Topic Tuesday // Men's Mental Health and Peer Support // Tues 9th March, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

very good points there @Daisydreamer@BanksiaProject 

depending on the situation , time sometimes just sitting with my partner helps until there is an opening to suggest an idea 

@Daisydreamer 

"When I am going to raise your concerns with the men I love, I have a think about where and when I will raise concerns that will make them feel comfortable. Sometimes it takes a few goes, and that’s okay. Doing an activity while we chat has been really helpful. Just letting them know I care and I am there when they are ready to reach out."

I love this @Daisydreamer! A common theme I have noticed in the industry is that a lot of men prefer to connect 'shoulder-to-shoulder' rather than face-to-face. Doing an activity - walking, riding, sitting next to them and chatting can make the conversation seem much less confronting, safer and hopefully more effective!

This brings us to the end of our Topic Tuesday live event!

Thank you to everyone who has been a part of both the conversation here tonight😊

@BanksiaProject we are so grateful for your time, knowledge and expertise tonight, and we look forward to hearing more about the amazing work The Banksia Project is doing! Please join me in sending a huge thank you to Jack😊

Also, a big thank you to @Rosie93 for joining us tonight, and to @TAB @greenpea @TheVorticon and @outlander for jumping into this live chat.

For those just joining, you are welcome to read through the discussion and hear all about The Banksia Project and the amazing peer support services they offer for men!

We look forward to seeing you at our next Topic Tuesday on the 23rd of March where we will be joined by Bipolar Australia 

Question 6 (Our last question for the night): For those supporting men in their lives who are struggling, what are your top three tips?

1. Don't come form a place of judgement. Let them know you care and that you want to support them.

2. Pick your moment to talk to them. Wait until they're not busy or around a big group of people. 

3. Be prepared for them to say they're not ok. Have some steps you can go through to support them if this happens.

Rosie93

Will just say quickly after all your back patting I was born in early 1960s and I think life has got far worse for most every decade since then. Last 10 years the Worst of All. Its all going backwards so billionaires can get more money , pensioners get paid tax wtf what a World . Worse every year. Government gets stupider, lies more, does not care its just like ok Hell
Did not imagine this growing up as a child.

I have No dependents Ok . Myself. Lol

yes true @BanksiaProject@Daisydreamer 

I find you need time , sometimes we want to step in and say things but i have leart over the years , this does not work 

I also have 4 step children who all have inherited depression and anxiety at different levels and three of them are men 

Thank you very much for having me tonight and providing a forum to talk about The Banksia Project and the work that we do! 

Our programs are free for all members in the community. We want to support as many men across Australia as possible. 

If you have read this thread and would like to find out more, please head to our website or social platforms and get in touch!

Take care all! Look after yourself and those around you :).

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance