Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Daisydreamer
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Let's talk about Schizophrenia // Tues 25th May, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Hi there Forums Community,

Next week from the 23rd to the 29th of May, we will be celebrating Schizophrenia Awareness Week in a collaboration with One Door. One of the events we will be hosting is this Topic Tuesday on the 25th of May from 7:00-8:30pm (AEST). Join us here and let's talk about Schizophrenia. 

This fortnight we are joined by two special guests; one of SANE's amazing Peer Ambassadors, and a member of the One Door Mental Health Team. 

Let's talk about Schizophrenia.png

Schizophrenia Awareness Week

Schizophrenia Awareness Week aims to bring visibility to the lived experiences of those living with Schizophrenia, and encourage action to overcome the stigma and discrimination that many people living with Schizophrenia still face.

This year we will be celebrating the theme of Schizophrenia Awareness Week, 'Discover Better Mental Health', with a Topic Tuesday that will talk about the experience of living with Schizophrenia, person centred approaches to wellbeing and recovery, and where you can seek support. 

Please join us here on Tuesday the 25th of May 2021 from 7:00pm-8:30pm AEST to follow this conversation. 

Want to receive a reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

New to the forums or want to get involved in this discussion? Check out the How To Guide for Topic Tuesdays.

106 REPLIES 106

Re: Topic Tuesday // Let's talk about Schizophrenia // Tues 25th May, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Hi everyone! Today starts Schizophrenia Awareness Week and I wanted to share some of the ways you can get involved, both here at SANE but also with our collaborations with One Door Mental Health.

Check out our calendar of events here

Re: Topic Tuesday // Let's talk about Schizophrenia // Tues 25th May, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

We are about to start in 20 minutes! 🙂

Tagging all those who liked/supported this post. Hope to see you there soon!

@Dadcaringalone @Emelia8 @Rosie @Eden1919 @EricT @Anastasia @Schitzo @Former-Member @Mellymead @greenpea @StuF @Appleblossom @Shaz51 

Just tagging members who are around this evening in case you'd like to join us for the discussion! @Last-Lament @Owlunar @Meowmy @saltandpepper @Dimity @Emelia8 @Lilaca @LostAngel @Shaz51 @TAB @Former-Member @greenpea @Former-Member @oceangirl 

Hi @Eden1919 @Emelia8 @greenpea @Shaz51 

Great to see you here tonight! If you would like to introduce yourself, we would love to hear what you are looking forward to tonight 🙂

Hi I am diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder and I am just interested in hearing from others and sharing about experiences. 

@Daisydreamer @TideisTurning  and everyone I have a son2 with multiple disagnosis one of which is schizophrenia. Been looking forward to this talk :)x

Welcome Forums Community and to all those reading along tonight,

This week is Schizophrenia Awareness Week and this year SANE Australia is inviting people to ‘Discover More’ about its creative and passionate community living with schizophrenia.

Tonight we are joined by @Sandy1 and @Jordan94 who are our special guests, and @TideisTurning one of our amazing peer workers on the SANE Forums. Without further ado, I am going to hand over to Sandy and Jordan to introduce themselves and welcome community members to do the same. 

______

If you are feeling distress at any time during this live discussion, there are support options available to you. You can start a new discussion on the forums and talk to other members, contact the SANE Help Centre on 1800 18 7263, or find crisis support options here.

Hi,

It will be good to hear from others who are happy to share on:

1. Personal experiences

2. Recovery path

3. Self care

Thanks!

Hi I’m Sandy and I was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 1976 when it was a death-sentence. I have survived to now have a good life. I am a poet/writer and I play hockey and fiddle in the Footscray Gypsy Orchestra. I can only do this because I have had the support of great friends. I am very fortunate. But I still have to deal with unwanted voices and lingering delusions.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance