Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Let's Talk About Bipolar // Tues 23rd March, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

@eth thats exactly what brought me here to this online community - to find connection and share similar lived experiences
I am looking forward to joining a group in person now that we can!

Re: Topic Tuesday // Let's Talk About Bipolar // Tues 23rd March, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

I am afraid I have worn my family and friends a bit out over the years. I have no peer support as such but getting support from my psychiatrist when I see her

does anyone feel pressure from their family and loved ones to conform to a certain stereotypical person and not be their true slightly kooky self?  I have caused so much damage to my family that even though the medications dont sit with me well I Have to stay on them. I have promised my children I will. It is so hard. I just want to be free.

@Appleblossom  Apple!! thanks for all the likes xxx

Hi @HenryX 

There is a strong genetic component to bipolar, but it's not clear what can cause onset through the generations. Demography is not destiny, as they say.

Looks like a bit's been said about meds and also about addictions - very often a form of self-medication that can go on for a very long time for some of us (me).  Finding the right med balance for the last few years is crucial after many years of adverse reactions to ad's and problems adjusting to the many different prescriptions tried.  I had a chronic habit with smoking green for over 25 years and I am way more stable since I was able to give it up several years ago.  And therefor these days I make much healthier connections and am able to self-monitor and self-manage much more effectively.

@davidharper_bal @Daisydreamer @TideisTurning @SusanaBA @Shaz51 @greenpea @frog   not sure who else is here.

Usually the depression symptoms, sadness, no interest in things previously enjoyed, hard to get up from bed in the morning, if those experiences stay the same for at list for 2 weeks.

With mania its like a switch. In my case it was from being catatonic and meds no responding, I recieved Electric Convulsive Therapy, that really saved my life, again everyone is different. My sixth one, I call my lucky one, because I became manic and, I still remember what my Dr said "Susana, you are a lucky person, I am 100% sure that you have bipolar type 1, athough we can't cure it yet, with good treatment, you can manage it and recover" I didn't know what to think after all the pain I had.

I can understand that worry @Olga. Feel free to keep reaching out here among other threads- I'm sure there are many here who will be able to relate and hope you'll be able to find that peer support and connection it sounds like you've been looking for among the forumites here 😊

with my husband , the family don`t know what is going on as he does not like to talk about it  and does not want me to tell people 

it is fine here as we are sharing but not in the real world @davidharper_bal@Daisydreamer@TideisTurning@SusanaBA 

@davidharper_bal  Yes we all love our @Shaz51 Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance