Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Is it okay to ignore Christmas? // 13 Dec. 7pm AEDT

@suzanne
That's a good suggestion. I'm crying right now I just want my dad. 😥Just to feel a hug from him. I will go down to the beach on Xmas day say my little "merry Xmas" to my parents or more my dad. And I know I'll cry. Family is so important to me. So as long as I get to have my own children with me that's great.
It doesn't mean I won't forget my dad that I do miss and knowing that my sister will be with them.
I just have to try. Your suggestion sounds perfect. Thank you for your support.

Good on you for saying it now, @Kate09

Oh no @Kate09, you're definitely not the only one. Especially at the end of the year when everyone is tired! Vent away, I think we all are 🙂

I'd agree with that @Former-Member - there seems to be an unfair balance of responsibilities. Take care of yourself this year xxoo

Good on you @YogaBear for doing a stint at Lifeline on Christmas.  That's the true spirit of Christmas.  I get your concern about supporting people without invalidating their pain.  Knowing that others are lonely doesn't really make you any less so yourself.  I wonder if it would be appropriate to let people know about the forums?  That there'll be a place to hang out with others who aren't surrounded by loved ones and who might understand their situation? 

@SwearyCyn maybe your partner could make an effort to make Christmas nicer for you, by not giving you a hard time about it. I don't know if you rotate where you have Christmas - your place, in laws - maybe you could add one option to the rota - No Fuss Christmas, with no extra people, and breakfast in bed is the Xmas meal. Maybe worth suggesting it??
People seem to think it's a reasonable expectation to ask others to celebrate even if it's stressful and not joyful for them. I wish you luck with getting across the idea that they could be really considerate and give you the gift of No Expectations

Genious @greenspace - Christmas in a non-Christian country.  That's another fantasy to work on for the future 🙂

I was thinking exactly this...

Yes @Former-Member, it's true.  Maybe that's why some of us are less joyous about it all - we've been ground down by our 'festive' to-do lists Smiley Sad

Thank you Suzanne for your frank and open thoughts on the Christmas season - refreshing sentments. Why do we all have to follow like sheep down the same old paths getting ourselves all overwhelmed with the hustle and bustle of food,gifts, decorations etc etc. I'm not a scrooge or killjoy but I don't honestly look forward to Christmas as it can be isolating even with other people around. To those who enjoy same here's to good cheer. For me it's a good book and a nice rest to follow. Cheers from Bimby2

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance