Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

nashy
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // How to support yourself while supporting others // Tues 18 June, 7pm AEST

TT LE Tile.jpg

When we have lived experience of complex mental health, it's natural to want to reach out and support those who are also navigating the recovery journey. Connecting and engaging with others who understand our narrative is a powerful tool to self-healing. But sometimes it's easy to become overwhelmed and at times anxious as we try to manage our own symptoms alongside someone else's.

Join us for this Topic Tuesday as we feature special guest - Senior Clinician, Julia from @eheadspace  to discuss maintaining our own mental wellbeing whilst supporting others. Please note whilst this event features some youth related topics, it is open to members of all ages. 

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?

Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 9pm AEST monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic.

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

146 REPLIES 146

Re: Topic Tuesday // How to support yourself while supporting others // Tues 18 June, 7pm AEST

Hey everyone welcome to tonight's event! 

A big extra special welcome to those who wanted a reminder of tonight's TT 😄

@Kylie2 @Frog2005 @Holsie  @Woody  @Froggyhawk @Flora2008 @Former-Member @Shaz51 @eth @frog @Appleblossom @Koine @WAS @greenspace @Sans911  @Bellasweet @Ilovehiking 

For tonight’s discussion, we are talking about Supporting Yourself while Supporting Others.  For this discussion, we are lucky enough to have one of the wonderful counsellors from @eheadspace , Julia! Julia has worked with e-Headspace for over two years and will be answering some discussion points tonight around how to look after your own complex mental health whilst supporting others. Even though tonight’s event has an angle on 18-30 year olds, we encourage people of all ages to join the discussion as it is a broad issue for many.

With all that said and done, the way tonight works, is that I will share with you some thoughts and question prompts around this topic - please get involved and share your insights or other questions you have, you never know when your own learnings can be so helpful to another and vice versa, so don't be shy! 

Without further delay, let's hear a bit from Julia @ @eheadspace 

Re: Topic Tuesday // How to support yourself while supporting others // Tues 18 June, 7pm AEST

Hello Everyone and thanks for inviting me to join in on a very important discussion tonight, its really nice to be here representing eheadspace.

Just a little bit about me, I currently work as a senior mental health clinician at eheadspace. I am a qualified social worker and prior to my role at eheadspace I was working in a face to face setting providing counselling to young people ages 12 -25. I am really passionate about prevention and thus the topic tonight of self-care and wellbeing really stood out for me. Caring for others is so important, but giving yourself permission to care for yourself is even more important and I am looking forward to participating in some rich discussion around this topic tonight!

Wooohooo! Thanks @eheadspace  Julia 🙂

We'll now wait a few moments for members to join and settle in, then we will kick off for tonight's event with our first discussion point :D!

Hi @nashy @eheadspace  julia 😊

Hi @nashy  @eheadspace 

can I ask a question?

Welcome @BlueBay  Heart 🙂 Glad to have you here!

Hey @Former-Member  yeah for sure, we will kick off discussion points in a minute! Then if you like, post your question in response to that 🙂 😄 Also welcome!

Ok I wait

Alright crew! Let's kick off discussion point number one 🙂

As we foster our own recovery, it is important to connect with others who understand our experience. Sometimes along the way we may find ourselves becoming emotionally exhausted as we hold space for not only ourselves, but also other people living with mental health challenges.

What sort of challenges have you come across whilst supporting a loved one alongside yourself?

@Former-Member  feel free to respond with your question too Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance