Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Exploring Loneliness // Tues 18 Sep, 7pm AEDT

It has everything to do with my mental and physical health. Social anxiety in particular

@suzanne Actually, it was found through many moons of counselling. I learned that through needing others to make me feel seen I was not seeing myself. I was trying to please others to make them value me, and forgetting I had values and should value myself. Now I try to physically write down my values and what I enjoy doing and how things make me feel. Then I try to live in accordance with these values. That way 'I am hearing me' and valueing how my life makes me feel. 

It's something I still struggle with today if I'm being honest. Knowing the lesson objective, unfortunately does not mean it's learned!

Probably part and parcel re depression loneliness and anxiety

It’s huge impact @suzanne

I don’t have friends who want to know about me or my illness. It’s like they want to shut it out. I remember a few years sho telling a close friend about my illness snd she told me she couldn’t listen to me or want to know about it. I felt so alone rejected and abandoned. 

To me abandonment is huge and it’s very lonely being rejected esp by family 

@suzanne - What impact has living with a mental health concern had on the level of loneliness in your life? 

A lot. My main interactions with other people were incidental via my work, so that feeling of connection is gone since I became Totally and Permanetly Disabled (officially) and my mental health took a huge dive about 5 years ago - and since then I have been pretty out about my diagnoses, but people shut down and don;t know what to say. Someone else here said no one asks... but if I had an operation or a phsyical issue I'd get pots of soup and a hand woith housework.It is like I am invisible.

When my depression  is at it's  worst,  I isolate myself.  Don't want visitors or phone calls.  Then when I'm  feeling better,  the friends have all gone (except one)  - because I was sick too long. 

Devices & devises are causing fractures & disabling connection skills in human relationships

@suzanne My mi has made a huge impact upon my life. It has changed me from what I was before. Changed me from the inside (my mind) and the outside (my body) and how people would perceive me. I hate it but am stuck with it. I feel like a brumby being tamed it is horrendous. 

So as for friends it is nigh impossible when I cannot accept myself.

Oh @BlueBay that's so hard, sorry you went through that.

@suzanne 

My depression and anxiety make me isolate myself. Catching up with friends and family is hard because I have to deal with the dreaded "so how's life/your job going?". I've grown tired of having to lie or pretend that everything is going well. I feel like a downer all the time if I'm constantly talking about my mental health everytime I catch up with a friend or family member. It's easier for me just to be alone. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance