Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Exercise as Therapy // Tues. 19 June 7pm AEST

@frog I do feel very self conscious but also get very scared to leave the house. Once I come home from work I lock the doors and stay home. Don't go anywhere. I get to anxious to go anywhere. But yeah I do hate my body so thst doesn't help either 

@Margot Motivation is very when very depressed. You can't be bothered to do anything and exercise is the last thing I want to do. 

I use to love exercise! I used to play a sport at a professional level so I was pretty fit. I found these last few months have been a real struggle though. I am limited to doing things in public due to community outrage, but I do try and go to a beach once  a week for a long walk. I find the sound of the ocean and the smell of the sea tends to calm me and clear the mind 😊

What you've mentioned there @BlueBay, ties in well to my next question for the community...

I don’t know about you, but I reckon there’s a lot of problematic messaging around exercise in our society. Too often, it’s framed as being something we “should” be doing and often it’s caught up in negative messaging about body weight and shape. With this, comes a lot of ‘moralising’ around exercise. This can create a tense relationship between ourselves, and exercise, and our bodies.

What do you think about the way exercise is framed in society? What impact do you think this has on our relationship with our bodies and exercise? How do you think we might be able to re-frame exercise, to focus on the benefits (improved health and social connectedness) rather than getting caught up in the unhelpful discourse about body weight and shape?

sdffsdfsfs.png

Hi @Margot & thanks for the reminder.

Hi @BlueBay@frog

I always like to participate in Topic Tuesday discussions - because they're usually interesting & useful topics, & because it's a good opportunity to share ideas & insights with other people.

Adge

Feeling self conscious around exercise is quite common @frog and it's great that you've noticed that once you get started that anxiety and self awareness fades into the background a little. Exercise can be really beneficial for anxiety and confidence. What do you think it is that helps you to get started when you're feeling a bit anxious?

The only Topic Tuesdays that I haven't joined in on - were the ones that I couldn't relate to, or have no experience of (which were the last few).

Exercise as therapy sounds like a catchy title, & yes exercise does seem to be associated with better mental health & well-being.

Adge

Welcome @Adge and @melq83 Great to have you in the discussion.

Beach walks can be really relaxing and a nice way to combine exercise with mindfulness too 🏖

@Margot I don't know if I'll answer this correctly but I'll try. 

There is too much focus on gyms being thin diets and weight loss.  

I think there should be more focus on healthy eating and more realistic exercise but this crazy gym workouts to get this skinny bodies. 

It gives a negative impact and doesn't help with our mental illness. its very easy to get caught up with weight loss scales snd food and body image - all play a huge impact on mental health. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance