Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Emotional wellbeing for parents // 15 Nov. 7pm AEDT

LE Topic Tuesday banner.jpg

From 13th - 19th November 2016 is Perinatal Depression and Anxiety Awareness Week.

For this Topic Tuesday we will be joined by PANDA (Perinatal Anxiety and Depression Australia)

Becoming a parent is a major life transition: 24/7 responsibilities for another life, sleep deprivation and new stressors on relationships. For those with a history of mental illness it is a particularly vulnerable time. Anxiety or depression previously well-managed can become out of control, and shame about ‘failing as a parent' or not enjoying motherhood can prevent help-seeking.

What many people don’t know is that perinatal anxiety and depression is common, does not discriminate and has many faces. It is thought that 1 in 10 mums and 1 in 20 dads experience depression during pregnancy and 1 in 7 mums and 1 in 10 dads after the birth of their baby. Anxiety rates are thought to be higher with many parents experiencing both anxiety and depression. So many parents we speak with wear a mask of coping, underplay symptoms on routine screening, and even hide their struggles and fears from their partner and GP.

What we know is that the earlier treatment is obtained the quicker recovery and that recovery is not just possible it happens everyday! It is so important not to suffer alone.

Join us for Topic Tuesday where we will be talking about how to take care of your emotional and mental health during pregnancy and after birth, what to look out for, when and where to get help, and what that help might look like. 

We look forward to speaking with you from 7 pm AEDT.

Two things you can do now

1) Read the blog '5 tips for good perinatal mental health'

2) Hit the 'Like' button below to receive an email reminder on the night

3) Can't make the session? Leave your question below.

57 REPLIES 57

Re: Topic Tuesday // Emotional wellbeing for parents // 15 Nov. 7pm AEDT

Really looking forward to Topic Tuesday tomorrow night, in the midst of Perinatal Depression and Anxiety Awareness Week!

Hi everyone,

Welcome to Topic Tuesday!

This week is Perinatal Depression and Anxiety Awareness Week and we are joined by two wonderful people from PANDA (Perinatal Anxiety and Depression Australia) to look at Emotional wellbeing for parents.

Whether you’re a new mum or dad or have ‘been there & done it’, all are welcome to contribute tonight. @PANDA and @Former-Member are here to help answer any questions you have and share some tips and advice

If you have any questions or your own tips and advice based on your own experience, please feel free to contribute to the conversation!

A big welcome to @Pocoyo , @Litam @2angels @Shaz51 @vit @brightsideupmel @Sehnsucht

Firstly - @PANDA would you like to introduce yourselves? And perhaps share a bit about what PANDA does?

Thank you for the warm welcome @NikNik. It is great to be here.

PANDA supports mums and dads across the country in their emotional and mental health journey through pregnancy and early parenthood.

We are really passionate about creating a safe space for people to talk about the REAL challenges associated with being a parent (as well as the joys of course). So much stigma exists around mental illness and this is even greater for a new parent who feels like they are 'failing'.

So excited about being here for a chat tonight.

I would love to answer any questions you might have... or hear your experience of having a baby and managing mental health issues.

Hi everyone, thank you for hosting this forum@PANDA @SANE . I'm a mum of a 2year old girl and married for 7years. We were moving country while I was pregnant and when I had my daughter. My husband became very distant and unaffectionate toward me and it continued for quite awhile afterwards. I have not spoken of this to anyone before .

Hello everyone!

Thanks @NikNik for the warm welcome!

So happy to be here with you all tonight to talk about emotional wellbeing for parents...

Can't wait to hear your questions and comments 🙂

I read that this is normal for dad's... but after 6-12months I started to worry a lot. Has anyone else had this experience or can offer any advice?

Hi @Pocoyo

Wow, how brave to share something so important for the first time tonight. Thank you.

Moving away from supports and familiarity adds an additional layer of stress when having a baby. We often hear of this stress impacting on relationships. When people are struggling they tend to respond in the way that is automatic for them. Sometimes that is withdrawing. I can only imagine how painful that was when you needed him the most.

Are things better now?

I think there is a lack of public mum and bub units for women with postnatal depression/anxiety/psychosis. For the hospitals that do exist - very difficult to access/limited beds/located major cities...
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance