Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Daisydreamer
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Breaking The Cycle: Addiction, Alcohol and Drugs // Tues 27th April, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Hi there SANE Community, 

This fortnight we welcome Turning Point to the SANE Forums talking about substance use, addiction, and the relationship with mental health. Turning Point are Australia's leading National Addiction treatment, education and research centre. They also help us out on the forums as Moderators 😊

Breaking the Cycle_ Addiction, Drugs and Alcohol.png

Breaking The Cycle 

When it comes to substance use and substance abuse, there can be a strong link with mental health and wellbeing. Often, we hear people talking about the cyclical nature of mental health and substance use, as one impacts the other. 

Alcohol and drug use is common in Australia, alcohol more so with 79% of adults having at least one drink in a year (Australian Institute of Health and Welfare).

There are also many Australians with a dual diagnosis of mental health concerns and addiction. 

One of Turning Point's addiction, drug and alcohol counsellors and their online community manager will be joining us to talk about substance use, mental health and recovery from addiction. We will explore the places you can seek help for substance use habits, or addiction, and support a loved one who might be on their recovery journey. 

Please join us here on Tuesday the 27th of April 2021 from 7:00pm-8:30pm AEST to follow this conversation. 

Want to receive a reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

New to the forums or want to get involved in this discussion? Check out the How To Guide for Topic Tuesdays.

128 REPLIES 128

Re: Topic Tuesday // Breaking The Cycle: Addiction, Alcohol and Drugs // Tues 27th April, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Re: Topic Tuesday // Breaking The Cycle: Addiction, Alcohol and Drugs // Tues 27th April, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

We are only a few days away from our Topic Tuesday with Turning Point! 

Here is a video from the team at Turning Point talking about the work they are doing with their Rethink Addiction campaign:

Hi forums community, there is only 30 mins to go until our Topic Tuesday Live Chat starts 😊

Tagging all members who supported this post

@saltandpepper @Hydrangea @Fhr @HoneyOne @Jay6 @Shaz51 @Tarnia @PM82 @Time @Craiglangley @Hello3 @Missy18 @Adge @BarbC @TAB @SunRize @Froggo @WIP @IISouthIIPaw @Mazarita @greenpea 

Hope to see you there soon!

Also tagging all our members who are online in case you are interested in this discussion. 

@Last-Lament @AnneR @Former-Member @Former-Member @IISouthIIPaw @Ky_La @Meowmy @Millieme @PM82 @Shaz51 @TAB @Zoe7 @bipolarbunny @greenpea 

For those of you who are already here and following along, you are more than welcome to introduce yourself

Welcome everyone and huge thank you for being here tonight! It is time to get started  😊 

Please join me in welcoming @Hello3 and @Calvin to the forums as our special guests tonight from Turning Point.  

@Hello3 and @Calvin would you like to introduce yourself to the community

We are also welcoming @TideisTurning tonight who will be around to join in the conversation and support each of our members contributing to the discussion tonight. 

Over the next hour, we encourage all those following along to ask questions, share your story, answer the questions yourself. New to the forums or not sure how to get involved in Topic Tuesday? Check out the How To Guide for Topic Tuesdays  😊

This discussion will talk about topics such as addiction, mental health and recovery. If you are feeling distress during this live discussion, there are support options available to you. You can start a new discussion on the forums and talk to other members, contact the SANE Help Centre on 1800 18 7263, or find crisis support options here. 

Hi, everyone!

We have a son 23 years old who has schizophrenia.  Drugs have been his maladaptive coping mechanism.  He escapes to drugs as he has not learned how to cope any other ways.

Hydrengea

Oh my goodness.... I was so wrapped up with 21st birthdays I forgot!

i have a vast load of experience and personal studies on the topic to.

I felt, this time I could contribute ok lol... 

@Daisydreamer  I will be there in just a minute 🙂 looking forward to discussion.xx

@Daisydreamer wrote:

Welcome everyone and huge thank you for being here tonight! It is time to get started  😊 

Please join me in welcoming @Hello3 and @Calvin to the forums as our special guests tonight from Turning Point.  

@Hello3 and @Calvin would you like to introduce yourself to the community

We are also welcoming @TideisTurning tonight who will be around to join in the conversation and support each of our members contributing to the discussion tonight. 

Over the next hour, we encourage all those following along to ask questions, share your story, answer the questions yourself. New to the forums or not sure how to get involved in Topic Tuesday? Check out the How To Guide for Topic Tuesdays  😊

This discussion will talk about topics such as addiction, mental health and recovery. If you are feeling distress during this live discussion, there are support options available to you. You can start a new discussion on the forums and talk to other members, contact the SANE Help Centre on 1800 18 7263, or find crisis support options here. 

Hello Everyone 🙂
My name’s Vincent and I will be your guest this evening. Just a bit about me..I’m an Addiction Counsellor and have been working for Turning point for over 3 years. Through my line of work I have had discussions with many people from all walks of life that have in someway been affected by addiction either first hand, or by a loved one. I’m here to discuss the importance of understanding the ripple effect that addiction can have on peoples lives, to discuss the link between mental health and addiction and to bring light to some of the reasons why some people lean on drugs, alcohol and gambling as a coping mechanism. Looking forward to some of your questions and personal insights.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance