Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Being a male in a caring role // Tues 25 June, 7pm AEST

Hi @Shaz51 

That must be challenging @MrDad - its really wonderful that you have come to the forums and we look forward to your input tonight

Thanks. It was actually my wife who brought this forum to my attention.

@MrDad great you could come along, thank you.

For those who don't know me I support my wife who lives with BPD. We have have been married 19 years and have 3 children between 3 and 14. Our oldest has an intellectual disability. 

Hi.

Thanks, Lauz and Greg.

I am new. I found out about this forum just this morning. 

I volunteer at a suicide prevention organisation and am also a carer at a mental health support organisation.

I hope to learn from others' experience and am happy to share mine where I can.

Hi @Determined thanks for sharing, look forward to hearing your thoughts on tonights topics

Welcome @JMRD - thanks for joining the forums. @Determined thanks for sharing and also grateful for your perspective tonight 

Wonderful to have everyone coming through. Let's get started with our first discussion point 👍🏼

As a male caring for someone, how do you go about communicating with mates, colleagues, teachers or employers about caring responsibilities? (For those that may not be a male in a caring role, what advice do you have around this?)

On communication - I was never real good at this early on and still struggle in certain situations to speak up or say what I want to say.  It took quiet a bit of time for me to feel comfortable and confident speaking with others about my caring roles and so I’ve found the best thing to do is be upfront and honest.  It usually starts a conversation and can help others better understand you.  In my experience, more often than not, people will relate to your story and share their own!  

Fortunately I now work in an environment where my experiences as a carer is valued and encouraged to discuss openly. In regards to friends, well its hardly ever talked about
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance