Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // BPD Awareness Week 2021 – Discover Creative Wellbeing // Tues 5th October, 7pm-8:30pm AEDT

Hi @Jacques ,

BPD often gets misdiagnosed as bipolar.

I was on bipolar medication for 10 years! I DID NOT have bipolar. Rather, it was BPD - I ticked every trait in the DSM.

Once someone gets diagnosed with bipolar, it medicalises the condition which then means medication is prescribed to 'fix' the problem.

Unfortunately, medication is not the answer for BPD.

Re: Topic Tuesday // BPD Awareness Week 2021 – Discover Creative Wellbeing // Tues 5th October, 7pm-8:30pm AEDT

Hello Jacques Community Elder....agreed. In my own professional experience, I would say the best bet is to have a diagnosis by a Psychiatrist, but even then, this is one opinion and they aren't infallible and can be wrong also. 

just no services at all in regional areas

Question 2.

For those living with BPD: What creative therapy options are available, and where can you find them?

True @Millieme . There are such limited services even in metro areas, let alone regional.

Medications are basically for other symptoms ie depression or anxiety and not BPD @KirstyNEABPD @BPDSurvivor 

I really don't like the term "borderline personality disorder" I  wish it was changed. 

@Millieme, yes. Being the squeaky wheel to your local Government and Council may help? 🙂

Quesiton 2.

It has taken me time to really consider the creative therapies out there. At first, I jumped to:

creative therapies = visual arts and crafts

On closer thought, creative therapy rests outside the conventional dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT), acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT), cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) etc.

Creative therapy no doubt includes arts and crafts, yet also encompasses:

• pets
  • music and dance
  • hobbies
  • community and volunteering services
  • sports e.g. running, cycling, rowing, yoga, meditation, trampolining, sky-diving!

For me, the greatest impact on my recovery was and continues to be peer support – supporting and advocating for those with BPD. Giving people hope. Making connections. Allow people to feel a sense of belonging and to know they are not alone. At first, I reached out to support others, but along the way, the rewards towards by own recovery have been invaluable.

I urge people with BPD to look for things they enjoy doing because this is therapy in itself!

What are some things you enjoy?

what is meant by 'creative therapy options'?

@cloudcore  Do you mean like yoga or walking ??

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance