Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

wellwellwellnez
Community Guide

Makarrata is About Everyone

Miṉitjapuyŋu buḻaŋgitj ("good afternoon" in Yolgnu)

(There is no Yolgnu word for "hello" https://omniglot.com/language/phrases/yolngu.htm))

I greet in Yolgnu not speaking from or for Yolgnu country, but because as a member of the recovery community, I've been wanting to use NAIDOC as an excuse to reflect on the Yolgnu concept of makarrata. Like recovery it's a process with goals but at the same time it's a wisdom and a way of life. I found these words that goes into some of the depths of what makarrata has become.

“The Principles of makarrata have guided Yolngu people in North East Arnhem Land through difficult disputes for centuries and they are useful as a guide to the current challenge.

First, the disputing parties must be brought together. Then, each party , led by their elders must speak carefully and calmly about the dispute. They must put the facts on the table and air their grievances. If a person speaks wildly, or out of turn, he or she is sent away and shall not be included any further in the process. Those who come for vengeance or for no other purposes, will also be sent away, for they can only disrupt the process.

The leaders must always seek and full understanding of the dispute: what lies behind it; who is responsible; what each party wants, and all things that are normal to peacemaking efforts. When that understanding is arrived at, then a settlement can be agreed upon. This settlement is also a symbolic reckoning –an action that says to the world that from now on and forever the dispute is settled; that the dispute no longer exists, it is finished. And from the honesty of the process and the submission of both parties to finding the truth, then the dispute is ended. In past times a leader came forward and accepted a punishment and this leader once punished was then immediately taken into the heart of the aggrieved clan. The leader’s wounds were healed by the men and women of the aggrieved clan, and the leader was given gifts and shown respect –and this former foe, who had caused pain and suffering to people, would live with those that had been harmed and the peace was made – not just for them but for future generations.

In this way the parties were able to come together, to trade, to marry, to work together and make their lives together. The dispute was over and peace and harmony were achieved.’’

- Dr G, Yunupingu

I also wanted to share (re-share (thank you @Jay5) some sweet beats from rising star,

JK-47 (Minjungbal/Gudjinburra man of the Bundjalung community)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=toFdI95IIDY

And, I've been looking around for National advocacy portals (seeing how we are a national movement). In ways the portal is the whole country (and countries) as it won't be long till we start having real, real conversations about "The Voice". I also found a lot looking at ANTAR (Australians for Native Title and Reconciliation) https://antar.org.au/

They've got lists of national campaigns and I also found the makarrata description, above, from ANTAR, Victoria https://antarvictoria.org.au/a-national-marrata

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Makarrata is About Everyone

Love it @wellwellwellnez 

I was talking about Makarrata at a dinner last weekend in a beautiful new Community Centre for Indigenous in our area.  Keep the conversations going.

Miṉitjapuyŋu buḻaŋgitj, @wellwellwellnez

As for our Indigenous peoples, I really don't know what to say. Western societies thought we knew it all, but ours was just a plague that went around making a mess of other cultures, and never considering that we were also damaging our own. 

How far they have come in recent times. I sit back in awe and watch them rising and it is so heart warming. Sometimes I wish I was one of them. Their values align with my own more than this culture does. I just hope that in becoming increasingly assimilated, they are very choosy in which western ways they adopt. 

How I wish my family knew how to resolve differences through makarrata. Pure wisdom, isn't it?

Happy NAIDOC week to them and to us all. 

Couldn't agree more @Historylover . I was listening to a podcast where they interviewed an Indigenous person who told stories about the way they facilitate healthcare and it was just amazing. So much more holistic than western ways.

I also get envious of the way they connect to the land and respect the land. White Australian folks could certainly learn a thing or two. I've very much enjoyed NAIDOC week!

It seems, @hanami, that it won't be long before every house in Australia has articles with Aboriginal theme. Recognition too long in coming, but better late than never, I guess. 

I hope the values that are intrinsic to their culture also rub off! How sad that so many are only beginning to not be afraid to identify as Aboriginal. So much in need of correction in this country. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance