Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

FloatingFeather
Senior Contributor

INTERNATIONAL FRIENDSHIP DAY – 30 JULY

“Don’t walk in front of me … I may not follow.

Don’t walk behind me …. I may not lead.

Just walk beside me and by my friend.”

Albert Camus

The International Day of Friendship was designed by the UN General Assembly in 2011 with the idea that friendship between peoples, countries, cultures, and individuals can inspire peace efforts and build bridges between communities.

International Friendship Day is a great day to appreciate and encourage friendship. One goal of International Friendship Day is to help close the gaps between race, colour, religion, and other factors which hinder friendships with one another.

Benefits of Friendship

Friends not only help prevent loneliness, but friends can also:

- increase a person's sense of belonging and purpose;

- boost your happiness and reduce your stress;

- improve a person's self-confidence and self-worth;

- help you put your problems into context to develop a stronger sense of meaning & direction;

- increase feelings of security and help protect against stress;

- ease the emotional impact of difficulties and offer new ideas about tackling them.

Good times

Just the simple pleasure of being in the company of people you like. This can often lead to playful and fun banter. This is often seen on the forums and can help lift a person’s spirits.

Reciprocity 

The give and take between people in friendships is an important part of friendship.  People enjoy doing something for someone they like or sharing their experience or offering support. 

The forums really embody the true meaning of friendship – anonymous friends sharing experience, supporting each other, and frequently checking on each other. The forums are such an amazing place to witness and be part of acts of friendships on a daily basis!

#friendshipday

FloatingFeather_0-1659058409062.png

4 REPLIES 4

Re: INTERNATIONAL FRIENDSHIP DAY – 30 JULY

This is amazing @FloatingFeather 

What on earth would we do without our mates! 

I'd actually never heard the word 'reciprocity' until I became a peer worker. It's one of my favourites now. 

😍

Grateful for this safe place to form safe and nonjudgmental friendships. 💕

Absolutely @Bow 

It warms my heart to see the friendships people have made here 😍

I didn't know that was a Camus quote. Good ole' Camus.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance