Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: 5 Day Online Event! You Are Not Alone - Crisis Advice for Family, Friends & Carers

@Shaz51 Thank you for sharing, what a journey for you Heart 70km away, my goodness that is no doubt tricky without driving. @NatureLover Thank you too for your post! So stoked to have you both here 🙂 I am looking forward to getting your thoughts as well as others forum members, I think it's a really tangible resource Smiley Very Happy

I will be posting one discussion point per day to reflect on, first up...

Thinking about the new You Are Not Alone resource...
Sometimes it is hard to know who to talk to when supporting a loved one after an attempt, what has your experience been of engaging with doctors, nurses and hospital staff as a carer (keeping in mind our community guidelines of course)?

Re: 5 Day Online Event! You Are Not Alone - Crisis Advice for Family, Friends & Carers

that night was soo hard @NatureLover@nashy 

my husband only wanted me and his daughter to visit him 

his family were not allowed in 

and because it was 70 kms away I decided to stay at a hotel so I could visit him everyday 

my cousin Paid for the hotel room for one night 

then I found out there was a Red Cross accommadation oppersite the hospital which was close by, supportive, affordable @nashy , this is a big tip to have handy in you emergancy numbers 

I was able to stay there 

and in the library there was a book with " Sane Australia" in it 

@Shaz51 wrote:

that night was soo hard @NatureLover@nashy 

Oh gosh, that would've been really difficult, @Shaz51  😞 How lucky about the Red Cross accommodation!

Was that how you found out about SANE Forums?

what has your experience been of engaging with doctors, nurses and hospital staff as a carer ?

@nashy@NatureLover , @Former-Member 

my first experience was not good , sorry to say 

with what my husband told them when he arrived ( I was to Blame ) for the situation 

the nurse there on that morning gave me a hard time in front of my husband and step daughter -- (after that morning I never saw that nurse again )

that afternoon the doctor and head nurses talk to me about what I thought what happened , so from then it was a lot better 

Was that how you found out about SANE Forums? -- yes it was @NatureLover@nashy 

but I did not log on until we got back home 

@Shaz51 wrote:

Was that how you found out about SANE Forums? -- yes it was @NatureLover@nashy 

but I did not log on until we got back home 

Well we are grateful, for all you do around here @Shaz51 !

@NatureLover @nashy @Shaz51 @Former-Member  I’ve just had a look at the wheel. That is excellent. I will spend a bit more time with it later.

Thanks for the tag @NatureLover 👍👍💞💞

hugs @Maggie HeartHeart

Sometimes it is hard to know who to talk to when supporting a loved one after an attempt, what has your experience been of engaging with doctors, nurses and hospital staff as a carer (keeping in mind our community guidelines of course)?

From my lived experience, I had a positive experience when I presented at the hospital with suicidal ideation as a mature adult, about 13 years ago...I was treated with respect and care. I was kept in emergency overnight, and sent home the next morning, as there were no beds available in the psych ward. However the referral from that hospital doctor to a psychiatrist was the start of me getting better.

From a carer's perspective, looking at the YANA material, I think it's a great idea to have some facts about the person's mental health journey written down to refer to and use in speaking to different health professionals. Taking notes is also a good idea I reckon.

@NatureLover

thank you for sharing xx

My husband had a positive experience when he was  presented at the hospital with suicidal ideation as a mature adult,

he  was treated with respect and care. he  was kept in emergency overnight, and then sent  into  the psych ward for the next two weeks 

so I had brought up a bag of his clothes with me on that first day 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance