Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

samt31
Senior Contributor

voices

i am experience strong voices again. My brother and sister in law are constantly talking about me in my head. last night i tried music i feel asleep then woke up 3 hours after that.

i think i hear mice in our wardrobe.i see my psychiatrist next Wednesday. so until then i keep well by taking my prn or just listen to music.

my voices are strong when i am stressed.we have an inspection tomorrow i don't know if this is causing me stress. we cleaned all day Sunday for it. but now i just have to finish the rest which isn't much. my partner is little stressed over the changeover of his new job which starts in 3 weeks. not sure if wants to go as a person who used work with is coming across and stresses him out. hopefully it sorts self out.

love to hear what others do in these situations...

20 REPLIES 20
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: voices

That would be really difficult, but understandable when things are stressful i think. I'm glad you were able to use music to help distract/block it out for a while. I'm not sleeping well at the moemnt either and it just adds to the strain on my resources.

Ugh! inspections are my worst times... and they always find something! but it really doesnt matter too much in the long run (so long as there's no actual damage its always been ok!)

Wondering if @Queenie has any advice/strategies?

LJ

Former-Member
Not applicable

I've not heard voices for a while, but recently I've been hearing people arguing in the distance. No where near as invasive or as distressing as hearing people talking about you, but I have had that in the past.
I find tv better than music as it includes voices and I can pretend that what I'm hearing is part of the tv program. I don't know if that will help at all?
Can you get someone to help you clean if you're stressed about it?
Does relaxation or meditation help you at all? It might sound strange, but I find colouring in can be helpful in lieu of meditation which I find just heightens my voices. I hope your day is good and this passes soon.
samt31
Senior Contributor

thanks @Former-Member. i am sure that my brothers voice will disappear but for now this what i am going through.

our realestate is rather fussy and doesn't like clothes in baskets or anything left on the carpet...etci am going to finish this arvo make sure the house looks good.

i did go back to sleep but its just constant battle with my voices at the moment. music is a good tool to use in these situations but soemtimes my prn and msuic doesn't help...on the bright side I bought my nieces a dress each. Iam taking them to the theatre in a couple of weeks. Iam missing like crazy they on holiday with my brother and the rest of the family. Iam at their house everyday feeding the animals and watering their plants. Home on Monday. I have a secret from my nieces I want to tell them we are seeing mister maker but not allowed too arrh it's fun though.

samt31

Shimmer
Senior Contributor

Hi @samt31,

Hearing voices constantly sounds really difficult, I'm sorry that this has re-emerged for you.

However, I'm glad to hear that you have confidence that the voices will subside.

Good on you for booking in to see your psychiatrist, reaching out to hear how others on the Forums react to similar situations, and using strategies such as taking your PRN and listening to music to manage in the meantime (even though they aren't always effective).

How's the house looking now?

Take care,

Shimmer

Former-Member
Not applicable

grrrr @samt31

makes me so cross when realestate agents do that! the house should be clean, and looked after.. but where items are placed inside the house is not really any of their business or concern! 

I'm glad you got some sleep though... can you talk to your psychiatrist about the prn not helping?

hope youv'e had a good afternoon,

lj

BlueBay
Senior Contributor

Hi @samt31

I've had a few experiences lately where I keep hearing the phone ring (when it's not) and I keep seeing my mum's face in front of me (she doesn't talk to me for 7 yrs now).  But recently my son's laugh and some of his mannerisms are exactly like a family member who sexually abused me as a child. It is very scary.

Can't pinpoint if it happens more when i am stressed, must take note.

samt31
Senior Contributor

Hi @BlueBay I have found the more stressed i am the worse my voices get! Even my sister in laws voice comes through the fridge. If I have the tv going or even music going my way of igorning them

Sorry to to hear that's happening to you. That's never happened to me and does sound scary...stress does factor in a lot but not sure about everyone

Hi @samt31,

Sorry I haven't logged in until now. I've been looking after my gf as she has been sick with gastroenteritis. 

I've also been hearing voices and other annoying noises lately (I know the other noises aren't there in reality but I hear them all the same). I try to distract as much as possible. Last night I threw myself into my online volunteering until bedtime. I also listen to music in a bid to drown voices out so they aren't so distressing. 

I'm guessing the stress related to your inspection has played a big part in your current situation. I find I need to stay as least stressed as possible to avoid psychotic symptoms. It isn't always possible though as often life gets in the way. 

Interestingly, I went to a voice hearer's workshop once and was told voices were symptoms of stress or distress in our lives, not necessarily mental health conditions. I don't know I agree fully with that (mainly because if I don't take my medication, things are waaaaay worse, so it means I definitely have some sort of condition), but it certainly raises food for thought. 

samt31
Senior Contributor

Hi @Shimmer thanks for answering.

the house looks good now just happened to be upstairs cleaning the bedrooms only took me an hour. Now just got to clean kitchen but can do that in the morning.

i had the appointment booked last year just don't know what he will do or say! 

At the moment that is all I can do! I understand it's not real but never get my brothers voice unless i am stressed.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance