Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: rough time

Anticipation can be overwhelming.  

@outlander

Gentle hugs.

You can get through this.

ConnectednessConnectedness

It was super duper scary having to talk to so many people. If I wasn't scared before i am now. They changed it around so its no longer what they had said. Im about to run out of reception on the train but i got through it without a meltdown at least...

IMG_3507.JPG

well done @outlander. Will read back later to see what happened. For now breathe. You’ve got this 💜🤗

Great to hear you got through it and extra great for you that it was meltdown free @outlander. That's not always easy!

Go you ❤

Thanks @Teej @CheerBear 💜

Yes breathing might be handy. Have another hr on the train then will be home and will give a better update then

Breathing is always a pretty handy thing @outlander 😉

Sometimes trips home on PT after tricky stuff is a good chance to settle and calm. Big, slow breaths and see you when we see you

X

Thanks everyone for your support.

We ended up having 10 minutes to spare instead of half an hr because there was trackwork so it was quite stressful on the way there trying to get there before 10am.
I seen a lovely nurse to start with for just vitals, then back to the waiting room for a while. I was then able to speak to the anaethetist, got a bit scary and full on then, she asked heaps of questions as expected and explained everything but she was nice so that was helpful.
But....... we went from lets do a local and gas sedation which suited me fine.. to now ill be in a major hospital under full general anaethetist with the breathing tube. 😯😯😱😱😨😨 Apparently I am high risk for a lot of things so this is the safest way plus they have full facilities in case something goes wrong with other trained staff. They want to keep me overnight as well, so instead of being a day surgury in the dental hospital, I will be in the major hospital overnight. The new hospital is over 3 hrs away by train and about 4hrs by driving. It was advised to me that I stay in a hotel the night of and the night after im realeased to be sure im ok. So I need to book a hotel or something through airbnb for 3 nights (one the night before, one so family can stay the night while im there and then the night im released) and then went back out into the waiting room before being called into the dentist who explained a few more things and got consent forms organised for the new hospital etc.
so there was heaps of stuff to take in today and my brain is abit frazzled from all of that. i havent had any meltdowns yet but theres been lots and lots of breathing on the train (with music of course) and i also managed to get one of pops bills sorted out as well.

oh and it wont be happening in january.february now as its a 3-6 month wait but they are trying to get me in asap. the dental team from the hospital i went to today only works in the hospital twice a month so its abit of a longer wait. , i need to wait for the nursing unit manager to give me a ring to confirm dates but its looking like its a little later in the yr and dentist has said if i need to go to the gp to get antibiotics and stronger pain relief when i need it. 
@Sans911@Snowie@Appleblossom@Teej@CheerBear@eth@Mazarita@Owlunarand im sure theres others ive missed who have asked.... my apologies to all whom ive missed.

Have you been under general anaesthetic before @outlander? Just asking because I thought you may have before. I had never gone under until 2 yrs ago when I had a simple procedure done (had one of my parathyroid glands removed and an overnight stay, but home early the next day). I had the tube as well but it was ok. In some ways I think it’s easier as you won’t be aware. When you wake up it will be all done. Im hoping this all makes it a bit easier and less scary for you. 

@Teej no i havent had anything more than a few stitches here and that seems like nothing compared to this now. 😨 im more worried about the side effects i think as when my pop had surgury last with the tube he nearly didnt come out of it and was in ICU for weeks.

Pops are different @outlander. You are young with no chronic organ conditions. I was so scared too because the scary is unknown. I thought about the fact that both my parents and two of my children have had general anaesthetic before. They were all ok. It helped give me confidence in it. Maybe your sisters or mum has had one and you can ask them how they went. I’m so hoping good or this strategy will backfire 😏

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance