Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

greenpea
Senior Contributor

hurting oneself

i learnt something today which for most might be obvious but came to me as a revelation.  i was talking to a friend re hurting ourselves and how we would go about it and she said to me that not everyone has the same thoughts. that normal people go about their lives without ever wanting to hurt themselves.  i was so surprised as i have always wanted to even as a child. oh to be normal.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: hurting oneself

@greenpea 

I have seen it both ways. Until a year and a half ago I had not had any thoughts of self harm for more than 20 years. Unfortunately after a work place incident self harm thoughts have been prevalent. 

I believe my partner is responsible for much of my healed 20 years. Hang in there because I know where I used to be and it got so much better, one day I will come out of my current funk and be my old self, not sure when, but it will happen.  Know that it might be you that doesn’t think about it some time in the future.

@greenpea I was the opposite I thought for a long time I was the only one. But either way it holds us back from healing.

How can you heal if you don't understand that this pain is not the everyday experience but it's not uncommon either, it's just life, but not everyone's life, that means it can be different. 

I hear you. 

@Gillie1 💚

@Flotsam @Gillie1   thank you both for your replies much appreciated.  life is strange. i often feel like i am a bystander watching it all. not a part of it. hoping that life is kind to you. love peaxx

Hi @greenpea i am here for u and i hope ur ok. I know what u mean how it can feel isolating to be so different and habe thoughts that others may not.

I have sh thoughts sometimes and it can be a struggle. I try and accept this part of myself while still not acting on it.

@EternalFlower   hi hun thank you for your support.    i was just taken aback when friend explained about the normality of those thoughts ..... i just always thought everyone had them ... i didnt realise how abnormal hurting oneself is.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance