Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: digesting bad experience

Cheers @Flying_Hams  - yeah I'm going pretty good. The only side effect I got was just sleeeeeeping for a couple of days. Not helpful with the uni though 😂 my report is so late but I'll finally get the (noise of absolute frustration - I really don't have a word) thing in tonight 🤞

oh I got Pfizer btw - probably helps to give a context hey 😂

yeah got AZ here @ArtistZ

just did bibliography

idk if there is a word requirement but it wasn't on the handout so there we go

silly uni tbh

oh well it was free

what are you studying?

(may not reply for a bit as I'll be out for walk my friend)

@Flying_Hams I just submitted it. Oof. That was so many hours of work and I don't want to know if it's good or not because it was all just such a quest. 
I'm doing psychological science and I'm in my last semester (if I pass....) How about you? 
enjoy the walk! 👍

Hey @Flying_Hams ,

I read about your frustrating experience at work. 

I guess when I was your age, I used to get to depressed over remarks and such like.... now, I'm seriously like, "Meh? Whatevz!". I don't let things get to me because I've learnt that letting things get to me means out of everyone, only I am getting upset. No one else probably cares that I'm upset!

However, that doesn't mean that your emotions and feelings are not valid! Of course they are! You have every right to be upset! Now, moving forward, what can you learn and do about it?

Also, your idea of cutting yourself from the world is an idea I fancied so much - in my mind. I longed for the day I could disconnect with the world and never have to face adversity. As years progressed, esp with COVID, I've learnt to understand the importance of relationships, connectedness and belonging.

For people to grow, they need people. That's right, awesome peopel to be around, yet also people to rub them up the wrong way - that's simply a part of life.

I remember travelling overseas once, and while watching a doco on the plane, I clearly remember the ending:

"If you want to get somewhere quickly, go alone. But if you want to get far, go together."

This has always stuck with me. Only now, I am learning to embrace the ups and downs of being with people. Of course it would be easier if there was no one to cross, but that also means there will be no chance of feeling connected to people. What do you prefer?

Whatever it is, people are social beings. Now what we do with that understanding it entirely up to the individual.

All the best @Flying_Hams ,

BPDSurvivor

@ArtistZ @Former-Member @wellwellwellnez @Meowmy 

Balance hey?
@BPDSurvivor

Another thing too is that I'm connecting with people still
In other parts of the world too
@BPDSurvivor

Yeah, I guess @Flying_Hams .

I'm not saying it's easy, though!!!!

I know for a fact that mingling with people is damn hard! Esp as I am seen as an independent person who doesn't need to rely on people for things. 

But over time, living on my own and working on my own (exactly what I THOUGHT I wanted), I was not happy because I felt absolutely isolated and disconnected from the world. It didn't seem there was a need for me to be around anymore.

Having people around you will make you a better person @Flying_Hams . It's easier to learn this when you are young. So you are the perfect age. 

Looking back makes people feel depressed.

Looking forward makes people feel anxious.

Hence, live in the moment, and live for the day 🙂

BPDSurvivor

Indeed
I feel I need my own place still.
This way I can branch out with others and do things off my own bat I guess hey

But I do see where you're coming from.

One needs their own zone and one needs others

hey @Flying_Hams 

Sorry I'm late to this chat, I've had some time off.

I really resonate with a lot of your frustrations. I too can take comments made at work on board and I often find myself obsessing about what has been said, reliving the tone and overthinking. 

Something that has helped me in the past is to think is this actually a person whose opinion I value? In the sense of, if I wouldn't go to someone for advice why am I taking on their snide comments?

But like @BPDSurvivor your feelings are completely valid and it can wear thin. I totally get why sometimes you would want to disappear. We spend so much time with the people we work with, so if the culture and management isn't great it can really take its toll.

Hope it has digested better now 🙂 
-periwinklepixie

hey there @periwinklepixie
and thanks for dropping in
I value what you said about deciding if this is a person whose opinion or view I value.
I agree. I believe it is not. So then I ask myself why I bother worrying about that much.
I can really only think that the reason I care so much is because it feels as if it reveals something about me - as if there was a character flaw or something.
I think the circumstances around this job, the circumstances around my life and where I am at in life right now are probably more complex than this one of job I have at the moment.
Thanks for your help and advice 🙂
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance