Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Jaz5
Senior Contributor

Sore aching muscles

Hi all, 

Does anyone else carry their stresses and tension in their neck? For the past three weeks I've had nothing but a sore neck it gives me headaches they hurt and my neck just kills. I need to take some Panadol or something nearly everyday because of the headaches. Does anyone have suggestions oh how to relive it? I'm going for a massage on Monday how can I try and not carry the tension there 

everytime I'm stressed this happens and usually leave it so long between massages it hurts and I'm feeling very depressed over it 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Sore aching muscles

Hi @Jaz5
Gentle neck stretches. essential oil rubs, pain relief and also hand held massagers work well for me. You can also buy the full body massagers you can lay on for full body relaxation.
A physio might be helpful too. I got my stretches for my neck back and chest from them

@outlander thank you 

I am going to try and get in to the physio and I do gentle stretch my neck but I should be doing it every day not just when the pain comes 

thanks 

My physio tells me to fidget often, including tipping my head from side to side gently after brushing my teeth. That way I get my neck exercises done twice a day. 🙂

@Jaz5 If I'm trying to hold a lot of (emotional) stuff in, my shoulders and upper back turn into planks of wood. Sometimes I can't sleep because of it and will get spasms. 

As others have said, going to see a physio was worth it because they can also give you exercises to do at home. They often sell self-massagers too. The physio was also able to help me figure out that my neck stiffness and pain actually originated from a knot in my upper back, which I wouldn't have guessed without professional help.

@Lise07 i think mine is in my lower back just causing all these problems in my neck and shoulder. But I will definitely book in to see a physio especially if it is coming from my lower back they can give my some stretches 

thanks 

Yes, I carry stress in my neck and face. Sometimes it looks like my jaw is tight. Do you meditate?

@Jaz5 Definitely think it is part of the human condition.  The neck is a small narrow pathway through which all impulses and thoughts and emotions experiences etc ... need  to be processed.  SO when too much stress.... it often shows up there. 

Smiley SadSmiley Mad

Great hints, especially from @Gwynn, at least she made me laugh about a very unconfortable part of my life.

Smiley Very Happy

I have struggled with neck and back condition all adulthood, mostly due to over work and over stress.

Learning to include it in daily life in various ways is key.

Take Care

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance