Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

cottagecorelez
Casual Contributor

Social Anxiety with Partner's Parents

Hi All,

I'm looking for some people who can relate to me. My partner and I have been together for over two years. I really like my partner's parents and they are super chill and lovely most of the time. However, there are points where (like in any relationship) it's not so good where I feel judged and unwanted/undesirable. I know this is a valid feeling because they are important to me and I want them to like me. I want them to consider me as suitable for my partner (not that it's a deal-breaker, but it would prevent a lot of issues). I understand this is outside of my control and I can only just be myself. But sometimes I feel like fully being myself is.. misaligned with how they believe the world should be. They have quite a traditional understanding of mental health so it's difficult to explain what goes on in my life because of this. I let it slip Christmas day that my physical health was not very good due to my fluctuating mental health. This parent just said "ah okay" and then after insufferable silence said "I need to go clean up" and left the room. I felt shame and embarrassment. I don't quite know how to navigate this because I am very close with them. Now I am at home kind of recuperating and probably procrastinating seeing them again.

If you have/had anything similar. I would love to hear. Just needing some element of common humanity. Thank you!

1 REPLY 1

Re: Social Anxiety with Partner's Parents

How are things now?

in my case I accepted that I would not be what some others wanted me to be and that at times others would not always be what I wanted or needed.

and learned to find peace in what is.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance