Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Brig
New Contributor

Shared experience?

2 REPLIES 2
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Shared experience?

Hi @Brig, welcome to the Forums and thank you so much for sharing what you're going through. It sounds like, despite challenging circumstances, you've done a great job of providing all the support you can. I hope you'll find the support you're looking for here 💗

For your eldest daughter, I really understand that you've reached a point where you feel that things can't go on the way they are. I think it's important for your daughter to come to that realisation herself as well- I'm not sure if she already has, or where she is on that journey? I just know that help-seeking usually doesn't occur from external motivation alone- it needs to come from the person's own internal motivation to access and be engaged with support. It is good to hear that she has opened up about the abuse and has been engaged with a psychologist and psychiatrists Smiley Happy

She might find trauma-specific services like Blue Knot or 1800 RESPECT helpful. Also, given she ran out of free sessions with her psychologist (I'm wondering if this was through a Mental Health Care Plan?), I'm aware that there are other, more sustained forms of free psychological support available. Each state has services for victims of violent crime (including sexual violence) which you may or may not be aware of. They're called slightly different things in different states but if you google "victims services/counselling + [your state]" you should be able to find something. That's a way to access more ongoing, regular, free psychological support from experienced practitioners with expertise in surviving violence and trauma, and hopefully also in BPD and addictions. 

If she needs crisis services, please contact Lifeline, the Suicide Callback Service, Kids Helpline, or 000.

Some others on the forums here e.g. @BPDSurvivor might be able to offer some other insights?

As important as it is to talk about support for your daughter, equally important is I can hear that you're going through a lot right now. Do you have enough support for yourself, personally and/or professionally? Carer Gateway might be an option for you, they offer counselling and other support specifically for carers. You deserve lots of care too Heart 

Re: Shared experience?

Hi @Brig ,

I totally agree with @Former-Member . As much as you want to help your daughter, the real work can only be done when she is ready to make changes. These changes are not comfortable. They take time and energy. I hope she will come to this point where she'll be able to make changes.

All the best,

BPDSurvivor

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance