Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

bonsai_281
Casual Contributor

Relationship under stress

Hi. I guess I just need someone to relate with. I'm in my late 30s and have a wonderful partner and 2 young toddlers. I've struggled with depression for about 10 years, been on medication on and off and counselling as well. My partner and I have been together for just over four years, and he has been very supportive of me. But lately, it has been harder for us to talk to each other. We're a military family, but that's not the issue.

For a long time I've been a tad of a recluse. I have a hard time going out on my own, never feeling safe outside the confines of my own house. I can go shopping for groceries and necessities but if you tell me to go out for a walk on my own and I could end up with a mini episode of a panic attack. This is one of the things that my partner struggles to come to terms with. He's very outdoorsy and feels like we can't share experiences because I don't want to go out. Going outside is exhausting to me both mentally and emotionally. And this is the tip of the ice berg. He doesn't understand, and I have a hard time explaining how it looks like in my head. He's tired, and doesn't want to hear it anymore. He says I'm all talk and no action... I feel like I just can't talk to him anymore.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Relationship under stress

Hi @bonsai_281 and welcome to the forums.

My husband was in the military too.

It is hard to explain to our partners what is going through our heads. I have social anxiety too and struggle to leave the house for non essential things also.

Do you have any professional supports in place for you?

I find that sometimes it is helpful for my husband to come to my psychologist sessions occasionally. Sometimes the psych can explain what is going on inside my head better then I can!

PLease keep reaching out here for support. If you would like to tag anyone just put a @ in front of their name like I did with yours.

Take care of you 💖

Thanks @Snowie. Yes we have been to counselling together and it did help. But he says he's tired of trying so hard to help me, and I don't seem to want to do anything to change. I'd mentioned that it comes in waves and I don't know how to deal with it.

We moved for a new posting in January, and with COVID I find it even harder to leave the house! My partner doesn't really understand why I find it so hard to go for a walk. I have a new psychologist I'm going to see but my closest friends are back 'home'. I don't make friends easily anymore, it's too exhausting. Digital forums seem easier... so thank you for reaching out 😊

oh @bonsai_281 I completly understand. I have not got many friends in real life and digital life is much eaasier.

I think it makes it easier too when you can relate to the other person.

How was your day today?

Was the best this week. Managed to get my kids out of the house to the shops, after a little breathing exercise. We were out of the house for about 2 hours and it felt like forever! How do you handle it?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance