Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Tott
New Contributor

Parent in crisis

Hi first time post. Just seeking some advise regarding my mother who has paranoid schizophrenia and boarderline personality disorder. She has been progressively getting worse for the last year. very erratic behaviour spending all her money now is in bad debt as she got a credit card that she can’t afford to pay for. Drinking excessively. Was living with her partner but she moved out middle of Last year and back home with my nan. Stayed for 2 months then moved back in with him and now living at a motel. She had a job but recently quit and said that she wants to move but doesn’t want to come back home. she’s very agitated when you talk to her cuts conversations short. When she phones it’s always her crying and saying she feels unsupported and nobody is helping her. Me and my family try to support her but she is clearly in crisis mode and is refusing all help saying she “doesnt have a mental illness” gets aggitted when suggest she needs to see someone.

So my question is what can I do legally/in general to manage and to help her if she won’t get help. I’m concerned for her safety if she’s planning on moving and has no money and substance abusing. I feel lost any advice would be much appreciated thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Parent in crisis

Hi @Tott

Welcome to the forum.

You can find stories similiar to your own by using the search function. If you use the @mention it will send an email to that member.

The following link will give a list of services that assists people with mental health concerns, HERE

You could also contact VCAT and consider a Guardianship and Financial Administration Order HERE

I hope this helps.

SleepyPanda

Hello @Tott Have you finished study? Are you financially independent or do you live with your nan?  It is diffficult dealing with erratic, despairing, disturbed and agitated behaviour, especially in parents. @Tott Family life and sexuality are complex issues and systems. Many people do not want to admit shortcomings, not just those struggling with severe mental illness and homelessness. Look after yourself.  

Hi @Tott,

I'm not sure where you are located but it does sound stressful. I have a mother who denied MI issues. I found Carers Victoria were really great at breaking things down and exploring ways to get help. They are also realistic in what one person can do. Perhaps check your area if there are similar services

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance