Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

JennyK
Contributor

My daughter is sleeping a lot

Hi, My daughter has depression & anxiety. She is currently on 50mg of antidepressant & has been for 5 weeks. A few days she has been up & about, but the past week she is very doqn & sleeps & doesn't want to talk. Is this what happens & does it take more time. We are off to the Dr's in the next few days although she won't let me go in with her. I'm very worried about her. It's so aganizing watching your once happy outgoing daughter

being in bed not talking. thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Re: My daughter is sleeping a lot

Sorry to hear you are going through this. My brother went through stage like this and the sad thing is there isn't a lot you can do about it and sucks to watch it. If she is over 18 there isn't a lot you can do about her not wanting you come to the doctors with her. My advice is try and talk to her about what going on with her and ask her why she doesn't want you going to the doctors with her. 50 Miligrams of anti depressant isn't a lot for her to sleeping all day on it's own. It hard when they don't want to let you in to help them. Also remember to take care of yourself. Talking to other carers on here is a great way to help with self care.

Hi @JennyK thanks for posting. Good to hear she's booked in to see the doctor - I assume to talk about her medication? Fatigue can be a side effect of some medications. Have you looked over the list of potential side effects that comes inside the packet? As we can't talk specifics about medication on these forums, it's always best to consult with a doctor on these matters.

Obviously you want to strike a balance between being there for your daughter, but not stepping over the line or imposing on her rights to autonomy and privacy in managing her mental health. However I know sometimes people in your situation will book an appointment with the doctor ahead of time to speak with them confidentially about their concerns for their loved one. This gives the doctor a bit of a 'heads up' and background context that the individual may brush over or neglect to mention in thier appointment. Has the doctor also spoken with her about potentially linking in with a counsellor or psychologist for therapy? This can be a helpful addition to medication treatment.

Take care,
Mosaic.

Thanks for your support & experience vmainyard it helps so much to verbalise what is going on so as to in turn assist in my case my daughter.... 🙂

Content/trigger warning
Content/trigger warning

Yes Mosaic my daughter will commence coucilling this week, & Dr advised that lethagy is part of the process of depression & meds. Thanks for words.

Depending on the medication it can make you sleepy, also since she might be happier she might be catching up on missed sleep from when she was depressed.

Having said that your last post was in Oct. how has everything been going  since?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance