Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

j9091
Casual Contributor

Medication Changes

Just wondering what everyone’s nuggets of wisdom are for getting through medication withdrawals. After being on SNRIs for this past year to manage anxiety ( and the stomach issues that seemed to come on with it) I have started to come off them. After tapering right back over 6 weeks + I’ve come off some medication and still feel like I’ve been hit by a truck. I’m also being treated for ADHD and find it hard to know what symptoms I’m having from the withdrawals and what are from the adhd medication now that the medication isn’t there to settle my stomach as well. Any advice or reassurance is much appreciated 🙏 my psychiatrist has been uncontactable for this past week and a half during this. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Medication Changes

Hi @j9091,

Welcome to the Forums. My name is FloatingFeather and I am one of the peer support workers at SANE. It is lovely to have you with us.

I have some experience with coming off anti-anxiety medication but it was many years ago. I did do it under medical supervision because I was told it was important to do it under a professional's care. In my case the GP had me slowly reduce the medication over a period of time so my mind had an adjustment period and it wasn't just stopped suddenly. It did take some time to adjust and feel okay but it did happen eventually.

Can I ask if you have come off you medication under medical supervision? I know you said your psychiatrist hasn't been contactable for the past week and a half - could you contact your GP for some advice around this?

Wishing you all the best.

Kind regards,

FloatingFeather

@FloatingFeather  thank you for your reply 😊 

My psychiatrist recommended that I taper of my SNRI so that we could determine whether my anxiety has been caused by my adhd (now that I am medicated for it). I haven’t had a full rebound of anxiety but am struggling with the impact it’s taking on my belly and the brain fog, and haven’t been able to work for almost 2 weeks. My GP is aware of this plan to taper although I find it hard to get in contact with both of them for any advice in between appointments (with appointments being booked out for well over a month). I’m hoping to be referred to another psychiatrist as it’s been incredibly difficult to get a hold of even their office to discuss appointments since the start, but am unsure how quickly I could get picked up and who would help manage my medication in between (given that my GP can’t prescribed it). 

Hello @j9091 

Welcome to the forum. Its hard juggling multiple diagnoses and medications.

When I taper down I do it very long term. Diagnoses seem to change in my family.  What is clear is that trauma at vulnerable ages has played a huge role.

I do not hold to a simple medical model of diagnoses.  From my understanding life, feelings and biology are more complex than that.  They call it the biopsychosocial model, ie seeing person in their whole context.  

Yes having someone professional involved in tapering helps.  Hope you find it.

hey @j9091 sending lots of hugs your because I have BEEN THERE! last year I can off my SSRI while I as treating my ADHD. 

I agree with @FloatingFeather on medical supervision. Do you have a GP who you could speak to instead of your psych?

And also what @Appleblossom said. I REALLY took my time. I was initially aiming for 6 weeks, but ended up tapering off over 2.5 months (while working with my GP) because I finding some of the symptoms of withdrawals pretty tricky. It wasn't my ideal timeline, but I got really bad head spins so wanted to ease down a little bit slower. 

❤️ 

Hey @TuxedoCat  thank you for sharing your experience. I finally got in contact with my psych, I just wish that I knew sooner that I could have tapered back to my lowest capsule and then taken on alternate days to reduce the symptoms (facepalm, I should have know this by now). Given my belly issues we are also going to try a slow release to see how I tolerate it. I felt much better today so hoping things will settle over the next week or so. It was the worst time for it, I bought my first house and got offered a new job today! Things have been hectic, I’m praying that my mood and symptoms settle so I can enjoy these exciting things happening.

thank you again for your comments 

😊

@j9091 I know we've just met, but that's AMAZING! You bought a house and got offered a new job! You're smashing it.

And I'm glad you got in contact with your psych. It is a bit of a shame about not knowing. I feel like sometimes psychs sometimes have one way they've been recommending for years. I know mine said I had to do it in 6 weeks and it wasn't after I had a lot of difficulty that I went to my GP (because I couldn't get into the psych). I'm slowly starting to learn what questions I need to ask hehe

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance