Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Eden1919
Senior Contributor

Is it ok for a doctor to say this?

so recently I was in hospital and the experience was incredibly truamatic for me the doctors were very rude and one of them laughed at me when i finally managed to summon the courage to tell him the truth about what has been going on. the same doctor also encouraged me to diet despite knowing i have an eating disorder. then the senior psychiatrist said that "if you didnt want to end up in hospital then you shouldnt have told anyone you were suicidal, next time just dont tell them that and you wont end up back here" he basically said that if i wanted to hurt myself to do it quietly and not to bother mental health services. he also told me the public mental health services in my town will not treat me anymore and that my only options are private because one doctor after seeing me once and me not even really speaking to them decided i was making everything up for attention and then worte that in my records and now they are saying basically that no one will help me anymore. 

personally i dont care if i never have to see the public services ever again i never liked them anyway and never really talked to them or told them what was going on but i am mad because i am NOT a liar and i do NOT make stuff up and it really upsets me that this one doctor is going around telling all the other doctors in town that that is what i am doing when it is absoulutely not true. also i am not sure if what all these doctors did was ok for them to do. 

i am not sure what to do but it upsets me the thought that other people may be suffering at the hands of these docotors as well even though i feel very powerless to change anything within the system. is it reasonable that this is upsetting to me or should i just try and move on and forget about it a hope that i never need to be in a situation where i have to see them again. now i feel like if i am feeling suicidal i cannot tell anyone because i will just end up back there where they will taunt me and assult me again. sorry idk what exactly i am asking i guess i am just confused about what to feel/do. 

thanks to anyone who read this.  

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Is it ok for a doctor to say this?

Hi @Eden1919 

Its not OK to be treated like you have been by these Drs and health service. I would suggest you write down what happen and that way if you decide to report it, it will be easier for you do it. You have options available to you- I believe you could report it to- health ombudsman, local MP, Chief psychiatrist in your state and director of the health service or health service chief executive.If you do a google search you will find who they are- director of the health service or health service chief executive. You would speak to their admin team to make an appointment to see- director of the health service or health service chief executive.

You matter and I hear what you're saying. You can also request to see your notes and ask for them to amended especially if you see the executive team of the hospital. I am not sure what to suggest if you need further treatment but you should be taken seriously. 

Hi @Eden1919 .

I would just like to echo what @oceangirl said about how unfairly you were treated, and add to her list of people you might want to report your encounter to.

There are state-by-state advocacy organizations for patients who have been mistreated by the mental health system. The one for VIC is VMIAC (www.vmiac.org.au), the one for NSW is Being (www.being.org.au) and the one for WA is Consumers of Mental Health WA (www.comhwa.org.au). Not sure about the other states, I'm afraid...

You might want to reach out to whichever organization services your state if you want to report your ordeal and/or explore your options about what you can do in future to access adequate treatment.

Firstly, I'm really sorry it's gotten to the stage where you've found yourself in hospital, but I wish you the best in your recovery.

I remember a line from a psychologist who shall remain nameless: "some people suck at their jobs. Unfortunately, some jobs have a whole lot riding on them." It's unfortunate, and annoying.. but it's not a problem with you, or an indication of how worthy of help you actually are.

I would totally echo the above, in terms of bringing up a complaint. They may also be able to help you come up with a plan as to who to go to in the future. Maybe there are options in the public system that could benefit you, if that's something you're interested in.

One thing though, try to treat the complaints process as just that: a process. Try your best to take the emotion out of it. At least be aware of your emotions around it.

Whoever you go to will guide you through it, but bringing up a complaint can generate a lot of anger. It can take a while, and it can be emotionally exhausting.. at some point, it becomes more about them than it does about you.

I would totally encourage reporting this, and any other offenses you come across, but recognise when it's consuming you, for want of a better word, and remember to take care of yourself.

Good luck ❤.

Some years ago, I made a complaint against someone at the public hospital for implying I was unintelligent because I didn't agree with him. (because, you know, "all intelligent people" agreed with him on something that was a matter of taste). He also refused to transfer me to someone else's care. I felt I was sticking up for the future people who would come through the hospital as well as myself and so I could not rest until I made a complaint. I even contacted legal aid because I felt I had been unfairly discriminated against. They advised me to put in a formal complaint with the hospital, so I did and I met with the head of mental health at the hospital and her offsider and got to explain how it all impacted on me and what I wanted done about it. They then sent me a letter saying they'd had words with him. It was scary, but my GP supported me 100% in what I was doing and that gave me strength, knowing that I was believed in. Can you talk to your GP about it?

Smiley SurprisedSmiley Mad

@Eden1919  no! This is not ok! So sorry you were treated this way!!! Why would anyone want to engage with public mental health 'just for attention'. It's a horrible place to be/go. For some people they are needing a safe and secure connection, but even then that's part of the story. There's usually a deep, real, painful, reason they need that care. 
are you able to look into accessing some private support. At least there you can have some choice. Of someone doesn't fit for you you can change.

a very tough situation for you to be in sorry for what you are going through with your mental health and not being able to get the care support and medical/mental health consideration that you need and deserve,they way they behaved is not right

IM FILLED WITH GREAT FURIOURS,ANGER FOR WHAT YOUVE GONE THREW.
P.S this sort of stuff,should never,be allowed to go on.sad times,you had to experience,in the Medical Field;Hold your chin up,,and take one step at a time.When i read your story,it makes it hard,for me to open up and talk to someone out there,but i kinda see a light at the end of this old train tunnel,that you and i,are going threw.Thankyou for your story,it helps me threw and threw.the yrs of pain and suffing,that i have gone threw,to know afriend is out there,just likeyou. M.d

@Eden1919  A doctor 23 years ago made derogatory remarks about my son2 when he was a youngster. As it turns out all these years later my instinct was right regarding his mental illness. Do I wish I had the strength to say something other than let it churn up inside me on and off for all these years .... yes. I did not though. I was too focussed on getting my son the help he needed. Pick your battles wisely. Weigh everything up first. Love peaxxx.

Thank you everyone and sorry it took so long for me to reply. I have tried making complaints before about other things to the hospital but they dont care at all. I think I will just try and move on I dont have the energy to fight them. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance