Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

KittensMittens
New Contributor

I don't know what to do

This is a bit over the place but I don't know what else to do or where to go. I just need to vent maybe?

When covid first hit I was living interstate. I didn't see my friends and family for over a year and it was bad. I thought I handled the multiple lockdowns really well at the time. That all changed when I was finally allowed to see cross the borders. 

I came home and saw all my friends and family. It was great. Then after I arrived back to my state it finally sunk in now badly damaged my mental health had become. I've found I have become very needy and constantly seeking the comfort of my friends because I'm scared of loosing them. 

I have my favourite friend, he has been amazing and a real rock for me. Friends for many years.. But now he won't even talk to me. I have no idea what I have said or done. We caught up a few weeks ago and it was awesome, had a nice catch up with him and his new girlfriend who is lovely...now ne won't take my calls or message me back and hasn't since. I just don't understand. It hurts like nothing else and I have no idea what to do. 

I'm just really hurt and sad, I never thought he would do this. I thought we could solve anything and talk about anything. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: I don't know what to do

Hi @KittensMittens 

Welcome to the forums. So sorry for your situation. I was wondering if maybe the new girlfriend might have something to do with your friend not talking to you anymore. Maybe she is feeling insecure about their relationship??? Just a thought.

Meggle

Unfortunately I think it might be the case as well. I don't want to think that but honestly it's the only change in our relationship. He has told girls before he would rather be my friend than be with them but now I guess it's different. I never thought he would hurt me ever.

Hi Kittens Mittens,

Really nice to meet you here in the forum. I wanted to reply as I see some of your experience in my own. I don't assume that my situation is the same as yours but I want to share with you, in case it can help. 

I am a man with a diagnosis of BPD. As part of my therapy, I have been getting to know heaps about my attachment needs - 'attachment theory'. I am much more keen as a person, to form friendships with women, rather than men. The reason for this is to fulfill my needs for care, nurturance and emotional support. 

We all need attachment figures in our lives, even as adults but its something many of us are in denial about or are just unaware of. My mom has passed and I am not in touch with my dad, so my attachment needs are forfilled by alternative people in my life - my psychologist, an understanding college lecturer who mentors me, the lovely senior ladies who mentors me at my work. 

It sounds to me that your friend could maybe be an attachment figure for you. More than a friendship but someone you have a deep reliable platonic connection with. If this is the case, then that level of relationship might feel threatening to his new girlfriend if she doesn't understand how your relationship works. It is very sad but not many people understand attachement needs or platonic relationships. Or maybe your male friend is caught up in this new relationship honeymoon period and has just forgotten that he needs you for attachment too. He may just come round once the honeymoon period expires? 

My girlfriend understands and we have talked about where my need for attachment figures comes from. She has come to the understanding that I need to have these people in my life for my mental health to remain well. She initially felt threatened by the idea that I felt strong connection to other women but after discussing it, she came to understand that it is more of a platonic or maternal connection that I have, which poses no threat to our relationship which is a partner/lover relationship.

The challenging thing for you is addressing this because to do so, you are relying on your male friend in explaining it to his new girlfriend. The other thing I always recommend however, that is within your control, is having multipal attachment figures, so that you never feel completely lost if you lose one of your attachement figures. A good psychologist, or psychiatrist, a teacher, mentor, a work husband or a confidant. Just allowing someone in, to mentor you and accepting that as the dynamic of your relationship is enough to generate attachement, I find. 

I hope this helps in some way. As I say, our situations may be quite different but I wanted to share in the hope that some of it might help. 

Thanks,

Pato

"Or maybe your male friend is caught up in this new relationship honeymoon period and has just forgotten that he needs you for attachment too. He may just come round once the honeymoon period expires? "

This is a possibility, I know in early stages of relationships (the honeymoon period) people can focus very heavily on the new partner. I guess I just wanted to say while it is possible the new girlfriend is jealous and that is driving this behaviour, it is also possible this is a honeymoon period thing and may pass..

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance