Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Cloud9
Casual Contributor

Husband diagnosed Bipolar 1 - I haven't been here for awhile but need some more advice.

Hi,

I posted here quite sometime ago when my husband was first diagnosed with Bipolar 1 and I was just struggling so much.

My husband has been on medication now and out of the hospital for a year and a half and I moved to our capital city to support him and for him to continue to get the help he needs.

I was wondering from people who have been with their bipolar partner long term what it has been like for you in regards to their personality before and after diagnosis and medication?

My husband is very medication compliant and has been on it consistently after being released form hospital.

I have found my husband to be quite different. He is definitely less angry and doesn't go do extreme things like when he was manic, but the person I have been living with for the past year and a half is not really the husband I remember and love. He hardly has any feelings, he doesn't like talking about things (problems or even just general chit chat, I ask him questions and he just goes "I don't know"), he is not as funny as he used to be, it's like he has lost a spark in him. He is a very flat person with not much going on in him. It's like living with a type of zombie. He takes very little interest in me, he shows zero affection at all and is not interested in it. He has no motivation to do anything, he makes no plans and doesn't want any friends. I don't really know who this person is. It is not the person I remember at all. There is no love there.

Is this normal? Is this what it is supposed to be?

Also what is the expected stability? Although flat most of the time he had a hypomanic episode out of nowhere 2 months ago for a week and is showing signs of starting another one now. We have just moved house and it has been a stressful time. Is that supposed to happen while he is on meds?

This is honestly not what I thought it would be like at all. I thouht he ould be probaby a bit more of a mellowed version of himself, not a different person altogether.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Husband diagnosed Bipolar 1 - I haven't been here for awhile but need some more advice.

@Cloud9  Hi Cloud9 and welcome back. Time to get his meds looked at. Meds these days shouldnt turn anyone into a zombie but in saying that and speaking from first hand experience the meds do change you. For example when off meds I lived in this magical world of technicolour and now with the meds my world is bland and ordinary. I miss the hallucinations etc. even though they caused so much chaos. I mourn it in many ways. greenpeax

Re: Husband diagnosed Bipolar 1 - I haven't been here for awhile but need some more advice.

Hi Cloud 9,

Depression is common after a manic episode with Bipolar 1, and even just processing what has happened can make you feel down. Unfortunately putting someone with Bipolar on anti-depressants can swing them into another manic episode.  I haven't worked for 2 years now because of my mania, then depression (not helped by Covid restrictions).  Hang in there, you need to talk to a professional with your husband so he feels like he has some say and more understanding of his condition(and treatment) it's hard being patient but you will get him back.

Unfortunately its different for everyone. Adjustments of the meds can help being very compliant is half the battle. He is there somewhere the. MEds change everything. But he might be a bit over medicated. All the best.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance