Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Geronimo
Contributor

Human Rights Conundrum

I have a friend who lives on the streets in Brisbane due to severe mental illness. He himself told the Mental Health Services to go away and leave him alone and since he is deemed to be harmless to himself or others, the Mental Health Services just cut him loose and let him go his own way. He was always quick to claim infringement of his human rights when the Mental Health services tried to help him. Previously he had a nice Housing Dept flat but when he decided to go off his medication in about 1999-2000 he gradually declined in mental health until his noise nuisance with his stereo could not be any longer be tolerated by the Housing Dept and he was thrown out of the flat onto the streets. He is about 68 years of age and has a sister who lives somewhere up on the Sunshine Coast and she has probably given up trying to help him since he has gone off his medication periodically before and the outcomes have always been bad but this time it's the worst and he has not gone back on any medication that might help him see the folly of his current life. I am aware of the book, "I'm not sick, I don't need help" by Xavier Amador but I gave away my copy before I read it since the person I gave it to, needed it more than I did!! Does anyone have any real answers to this human rights conundrum, the colloquial expression for it these days is, "dieing with your rights on"?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Human Rights Conundrum

If this person is a close friend of your it must be really tough seeing him go through all of that.

I don't know what I would do, just like his sister, after a while I would think (if this is her experience) that you would just have to let go.

I can see the love and good intent in trying to get someone like that to take thier medication, but if they refuse, and if they are not really harming anyone but themselves, thier poor family would one day have to draw a line for their own well being.

And as for the rest of us, in our society we seek to do what we can. In some other societies past and present, such people are left to freeze, starve or in other ways perish.

Its hard to see what anyone can do except, where friendly charitable service are available, try to make sure he is near or aware of them, and maybe educate local community workers about his case (so they can keep offeering him the path of help, including medication, lest one day he take it)??

Thanks Swift,

Social Workers know where he is and the local police know of him and fairly much leave him alone.  He has been offered another Housing Dept flat for about $90 per week rent but he refused it saying he couldn't afford the rent. Apart from chronic Sz he is also a chronic smoker who constantly lights up one after another cigarette. It seems he would rather spend money on smokes than have a quiet, warm place to live???? This is possibly an unintended consequence of Govt. initiatives to increase the price of smokes, some people like my friend are so very addicted to tobacco that they don't know they are addicted and if you ask them they don't want to give up smoking anyway, they just get offended that you keep harping on about giving up smoking cigarettes!!!! BTW, my friend has one of the worst smoker's coughs you have ever heard but that doesn't deter him from smoking since he has smoked since he was about 12 years of age!!!!

Does he believe any of the medication has helped him at all?

Does he have any insight into his symptoms?

Does he hear voices or no?

Does he feel that the cigarettes help with his symptom control?

Sorry, Ivana, I was informed today that my friend had passed away about two weeks ago from a heart attack, thanks very much anyway!!

Wow,so sorry.

Hi Geronimo,

This is a very sad story, and I hope you are OK. How are you felling?

I'm OK, have recovered from the initial shock of finding out he had died when I drove up to Brisbane to see if I could find him somewhere at Annerley. I always knew he would die on the streets when he was turfed out of his housing dept flat at Annerley, I knew then that there was no way back for him. I had sort of given up on him some time ago but it is always a shock to learn that someone has died no matter how much it is expected.

I am currently more depressed about the death of Robin Williams earlier in the week although I learned just today from the news that he had early onset Parkinsons's disease which would have killed him eventually anyway. If he killed himself to avoid the suffering and indignity of a death from Parkinson's disease, then I would fully support his decision. Sorry to disappoint anyone but I am a strong supporter of voluntary euthanasia, for any reason in fact. The inalienable right of any person to take their own life must be respected!!!!

Hi Geronimo,

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I agree, it's always a shock to learn that someone has died, regardless of the situation.

I too was also shocked to hear about Robin Williams. I knew he had struggled with addiction, anxiety and depression, but Parkinsons disease (PD) was obviously something that we were all unaware of. While it's incredably sad that he had PD, and yes, he may well have eventually surcomb to the disease, there are many who go on to lead fulfilling lives, long after their diagnosis (most notiable Michael J Fox). Onset of symptoms can be slow or they could be fast, every case is different. My understanding is it varies, but research into PD has seen many developments in medication that sustain life and symptoms.

I respect all opinions of voluntary euthanasia, and this forum allows differring opinions, I wanted to highlight that PD isn't an instant downhill slope, and an independant and fulfilling life is still possible.

For those who wish to learn more about PD, you can find more information at parkinson.org.au

NikNik

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance