Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

BeeGee
Senior Contributor

How to go on

I'm not really sure why I'm posting... I guess I'm feeling like I'm running out of options...

** WARNING - POTENTIAL TRIGGERS FOLLOW, STOP READING NOW IF AT RISK **

I feel like my life is in the toilet right now.  I've suffered depression since my teens and am now middle aged, but only got a diagnosis around 6 years ago.  Treatment has been only mildly successful.  As a result of my unrecognised depression I made life pretty s#!tty for my kids and wife; my kids now refuse to talk to me and my wife asked me to leave last week, which I did. It feels like everything I've tried to do or be has been snatched away from me and I have no control over anything that is currently happening to me.  I have partially opened up to a couple of good friends and they are trying to be supportive, but I know I can't be completely open with them or I will probably lose them too.  I spent most of one day last week battling with my mind displaying for me in graphic detail all the ways I could terminate my miserable existence, some of which I had never considered before... was definitely the worst head space I can remember being in since the day I almost ended everything in my teens.  The worst part of it all is that I know I'm responsible for my own predicament.  I can't blame anyone else.  I feel like if only my kids would talk to me we might get somewhere but they just won't, and I have no way to bridge the gap.  I went as far this week as making a suicide plan - all the details - but didn't follow through. By the next day I had pulled back from the precipice just a little, but I still feel myself sitting within spitting distance of the metaphorical cliff.  I'm looking at potentially the rest of my life alienated from the people I have cared about the most and I can't see any way to fix it.  I despise myself, I blame myself, and even now I can hear the standard responses about how I should have self compassion and love.  God knows I've said it to others often enough, but the words ring hollow when I try to apply them to myself - after all I know the real me that I've kept carefully hidden for so long.  I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about - "if they really knew the real me they wouldn't want to know me".  Intellectually I know that's part of the whole depression schtick, but it nonetheless seems inescapably true.  The delicious irony is that if I'd just been prepared to be more vulnerable years ago I might not be where I am now. But I am, and it's s#!t.  I don't expect answers, I don't want to call Lifeline or Beyond Blue, I don't even know what the point of this post is other than to rant and vent and offload some of the intolerable feelings I am feeling.  My standard coping mechanism for most of my life has been to shut down when painful feelings come along; this is broken and unproductive but it's been how I've managed to date, but I've made the commitment to myself that that has to stop.  I will sit in these intolerable feelings and learn to experience them.  Maybe I will survive them, maybe I won't.  I just don't know.  I only know that something has to change and this is one of the few things in my control right now so I'm changing that.

I know this all seems so pitifully self indulgent.  You might say that I've made my bed and now I have to lie in it - and I can't argue with that.  It's true.  You might say I've already lost just about everything so the only way forward from here is up - but maybe I might lose my career as well... the last thing I have left that I have built.  I honestly think that would be the last straw.  I'm homeless and loveless, and to be jobless as well scares the bejeesus out of me.

I'm sorry for this morbid rant.  But I feel like I need to express these things to someone, even if I have no idea who you are, or you me.  Thanks for reading this far.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: How to go on

@BeeGee   I wish I had words to help. I am in a similar situation myself at the moment and trying to find a way to get myself back on track. Having meaningful things to do helps but just finding those meaningful things to do can be difficult, can't it?  I can only send my very best wishes to you.  Please stay well.

Dear BeeGee Im sorry to hear that it sounds like your going through Depression,Fear,Feelings of Guilt,Pain and Feeling so lost and stuck right now as if your not sure what options you have leftSmiley Sad you sound as if your feeling really alone and dont want to loose anyone or anything else,let me tell you right now that you are not alone,I dont know you by name but you are a special human being,you are so strong for being here despite everthying youve gone through and are still  going through,we all get lost at times,we all have a purpose in life that we try so hard to find,we all have strengths and weaknesses,we are all doing the best we can,your not alone please dont give up,look up,and allow yourself to take a deep breathe,allow yourself some time to cry or scream but please dont give up on yourself,think of all those people that youve helped in life just by being there for them the people youve told to be self compassionate,the people that you may have made a positive difference to,please remember that you may not feel heard and seen right right but you are infact seen and heard there are people who have noticed the difference to their lives,your life is not meaningless you are a unique person with unique strengths and abilities the truth is there will never be another human in this world that is the same as you so please hold on,hold on you are so braveHeart

@BeeGee wrote:

I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about - "if they really knew the real me they wouldn't want to know me". 

So true.

What really cements it from me is when you hear people around you making hateful comments about other people who are like the real you - without them realizing that they are commenting on people like the real you. It enlightens you to where you really stand in your community.

IMHO, it's the greatest cause of grief that so many of us are born into these communities that are wildly imcompatable with who we are; so we find ourselves trapped in this situation were we have to go around living long miserable lives play-acting a character we don't fully understand or sympathize with, in order to avoid triggering misery and anger within those around us. And every little mis-step we make in playing this false character we don't understand is punished and jeered by our audience.

I hold on to this ludicrous daydream that one day our society may be rearranged so that, when people are trapped in an incompatable environment, they simply have to visit some non-judgemental government official and confess who they truly are, and they will be relocated to the town/suburb where all their kin have settled. They'll be able to walk out their front doors of a morning, look around, and find themselves surrounded by a community who are on the same page as them. No more play-acting a false character they don't like just for the sake of quelling community outrage.

They'll be able to go to their workplaces, town fairs, and mingle amongst other elligible singles at neighborhood barbeques and find themselves connecting with kindred spirits who they can relate to, feel free around, and genuinely appreciate; perhaps even love.

How better to sell this otherwise dubious idea that being alive is a good thing?

It's a nice daydream; very easy to get lost in. But every time I get lost in it, I have to deal with the very rough impact of snapping out of it and realizing how live truly is, and the exceedingly remote likelihood of it ever become as amicable as I like to imagine it becoming.

I'm sorry I can't offer you any helpful advice, @BeeGee . But for what it's worth, I really hope things get a lot better for you.Smiley Happy

Gwynn
Senior Contributor

Sitting with you, @BeeGee

Beegee, I don’t know what you’re going thru, how or why...but I do understand your despair. If you need to unload, I’ll be your friend.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Please be kind to yourself.
You really are worthy and all though your kids don’t speak to you now, they will one day. Last week was a horrible place to be for me also. Things are slowly changing. Keep posting!🤗

@BeeGee hey so sorry you are feeling bad. Understand where you are. I have lost everything and everyone too. But slowly building back. There is hope. Hope you find little pleasures day to day. After a while there will be good things. Take care. 

Thank you everyone for your kind and supportive words.  To be honest I didn't think it would make any difference what anyone said but actually, to my surprise, it is a comfort to me.

I'm just trying to take each day as it comes and working on not hating myself.  I don't know that I will ever get to loving myself but who knows.

Hey @BeeGee, good to see you back here today. It takes courage to sit with your emotions and to not run away from them. Best of luck with taking each day as it comes and working on not hating yourself.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance