Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Seraphyre
New Contributor

How to cope when mental health problems/medication are costing me my relationships?

Hi.. new hear and my thoughts are a bit rambly right now..

I have schizoaffective bipolar disorder, and over the last few years I have been on over a dozen combinations of mood stabilisers, antidepressants and antipsychotics..

the problem is that when I am taking any of them I feel and act like a zombie. My boyfriend has almost left me countless times because he says that I sleep too much.. dont do enough.. dont show an interest in anything, and dont have a sex drive..

its been 8 months or more (not 100% sure) since I was on anything and I thought things were going ok.. but im on the downhill slide again and I dont know how to control it, but I don;t want to go back to being an empty shell either.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How to cope when mental health problems/medication are costing me my relationships?

Hi @Seraphyre,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your story 🙂

Sounds like you're in a catch 22 situation where you want to receive treatment but it is affecting your relationship and everyday life.

Have you tried to consult different people on treatments that you can have? Try search `Management for Schizoaffective Disorder' on the search bar and you'll see lots of post coming up with different people's startegies. This is one of the resources you can use but consult your doctor/ professionals on what's suitable for you 🙂

Best wishes,

Re: How to cope when mental health problems/medication are costing me my relationships?

Hi @Seraphyre

Welcome

I can understand the problem with the meds

I'm on a 'epilepsy' tablet

But it has an effect on me sort of like 'heroine' but its keeping me relatively mentally stable and so its sort of like a compromise

Maybe you could research medications on a medical website

www.medscape.com

Check it out

Hi @Seraphyre I hear what you are saying with the zombie-like feeling on medications, I am also schizoaffective and have the same effects from many meds I've tried since I was first became ill over a decade ago. The key is finding a combination which works for you, I'm lucky I've finally found that through much trial and error. The lack of sex drive sometimes is still there for me too, especially on the first few days following an antipsychotic injection I have fortnightly. The rest of the time however, I don't find this bothers me too much.

Don't give up just yet. Do you think it is worthwhile having a few therapy sessions as a couple, to give your bf a bit more of an understanding what is happening for you and also the best way to move forward as a couple and support one another? The low sex drive thing can be frustrating for you bf, but it needn't mean you aren't still attracted to him right? I get around this with my partner by having regular 'date nights'. Trust me it works and they will know you still appreciate them, despite the trouble performing in the bedroom so to speak.

Hi @Seraphyre,

I was wondering who was prescribing your medication, was it a GP or a psychiatrist? just thinking that perhaps you need to consult a different person as people have different levels of expertise. Also wondering if you could perhaps look at lower levels of medication but in conjunction with psychological therapy? a compromise to get you to a place where you may still feel down but more in control and have skills to boost yourself?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance