Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Flying_Hams
Community Guide

How do I know if I have had trauma and abuse?

Some deep thinking and reflection on experiences in late teens has made me question myself. 

I am unsure if I have suffered emotional and psychical abuse. i don't feel comfortable saying much about it because I have touched on this topic in the past, but I am feeling like it would explain things a bit better for my life now.

I feel quite concerned and worried. Overwhelmed and tired. 

I guess I'm just asking - How do I know if I have been abused or traumatised by some experiences?

Thanks forumites

6 REPLIES 6

Re: How do I know if I have had trauma and abuse?

You might find that it's hard to remember much of your childhood, you've got gaps in your memory. Your parents might dislike you talking about your childhood, saying you 'get it wrong'.

it was more late teens @Gwynn
But yeah it is plaguing my mind lately tbh

Hey @Flying_Hams ,

If it helps explain some of what’s happening for you now, it may help you work with the issues.

It may be true that we cannot change the past, but now it can be about changing how we live now so that it is more fulfilling and satisfying - what you truly deserve.

Through your conversations on the forums, I can see you have matured much in the way you perceive many things. It shows a real growth in person for which you should be congratulated since you’ve put in all the hard work.

All the best,

tyme

Thanks @tyme
Thats very kind.
I believe you are right and as time goes by I'll work on it. I have started.
Thanks again and good night:)

Hi @Flying_Hams 

Thank you for sharing with us. I genuinely believe it takes courage to confront these thoughts/memories and ask ourselves these tough questions. Straight out, I'm not sure I have any solid answers for you, but I can feel the conflict in your gut and that is worth listening to. What you lived through sounded impactful, and doesn't align with what you know/believe about the world and yourself now. 

Slowly articulating your thoughts and feelings can be really helpful. It's also possible that this healing/exploration could bring up some unexpected feelings at times, so I encourage you to go through this in a safe place, or even in counselling if you have a professional you feel open to working this through with. You deserve to feel free to express yourself.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance