Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Benb
New Contributor

Help

I need help. I've hit rock bottom. Was admitted to a public mental health ward. Have just been released and am staying in emergency accommodation..but I'm now unemployed and pretty much homeless..I have anxiety depression PTSD and a tendency to drink too much which was the latest thing that has sent me down the bottom of the barrel..my body is failing me so I can't take on any physical work. Just don't know what to do and feel that this is the last straw..

5 REPLIES 5
Paperdaisy
Peer Support Worker

Re: Help

Hi @Benb Welcome to the SANE forums. I am hearing that you are in a really difficult place right now. It sounds like things have gotten really hard and you don't know where to turn. I want you to know you are not alone and there is help available. I'm wondering what supports you currently have? 

I hope you will find these forums to be a supportive place. Please reach out whenever you need to, there is always someone around.

It won't always be this hard but sometimes focusing on the here and now are all we can do. I'm sorry things are so difficult. 

Unfortunately we can't provide crisis support so if things escalate for you, I would encourage you to reach out to 

Lifeline 13 11 14  
Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659467  
beyondblue Support Service 1300 22 46 36

or if it's an emergency 000.

Please take care,

Paperdaisy 

Benb
New Contributor

I don't really have any support at the moment.
Paperdaisy
Peer Support Worker

Hey @Benb It might be worth seeing a GP and getting a MH plan. I don't know if you have a psychologist but I've found mine to be really helpful. 

I'll put this thread alternatives to suicide here in case it's something you would find helpful. It talks about safe haven cafes and some other useful supports. 

Would you seek support through AA for the drinking you mentioned? I've heard good things.

In the meantime continue to reach out to us here. There are a lot of people here who connect daily and check in. Please feel free to connect whenever you need to. 

TuxedoCat
Senior Contributor

@Benb It sounds like you're having an especially hard time right now, and youve tried to use lots of things to cope. But you're really unsure of what to do next. That's must be really scary ❤️ 

I'm so glad you've reached out for some support. It's really, really brave. Especially when you're feeling so vulnerable ❤️ 

I'm sorry to hear that you don't have many supports around you at the moment. Are there things you've done by yourself before to cope with these feelings? Are there things you can do tonight?

For me, when I feel overwhelmed, I often spend the night watching movies or TV shows to get me through the night, then think about getting some more help in the morning? Click here to find a section of our forums which is around social connect. It's great for distractio...

I'll also tag you in a night shift thread where our night-owls hang out late at night. 

And like @Paperdaisy said, please call one of these phone numbers if you're feeling like you need extra support tonight ❤️ 

• Lifeline 13 11 14  
  • Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659467  
  • beyondblue Support Service 1300 22 46 36
  • or if it's an emergency 000.

Then, if you're feeling better tomorrow, you could reach out to more support like going to a GP or finding an AA group? Or anything else that's been suggested?

Hi and welcome, @Benb , it's good you've joined.

I'm really sorry to hear you've hit rock bottom 😞

I really feel for you, being pretty much homeless 💔

As @Paperdaisy  said, if you can go to your GP and ask for a Mental Health Care Plan, that will entitle you to 10 (20 during Covid) subsidised sessions with a psychologist per year. 

We are also here to listen and support you the best we can (not being health professionals ourselves, apart from the moderators). 

I know when I hit rock bottom, it caused me to make massive changes in my life. For instance, I was super-committed to religion, and now I'm secular. I also have a different group of friends. I managed to rebuild my life from a nervous breakdown where I spent 3 years in bed, suicidal. My life now is better and happier than before, but it took time to rebuild. I've had years of counselling with a psychologist as well. I'm only mentioning all this to try to give you some encouragement, that you can get through the "rock bottom" and rebuild your life and come out the other side.

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and then click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply. 

Wishing you heaps of good wishes, @Benb ...

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance