Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Catiepiller
Contributor

Hearing my abusers name

A relative that is unaware of the abuse I experienced in my childhood just had a baby, they used my abusers name and it makes me feel sick.  I am able to say the name however when I hear it and I'm not prepared for it it makes me feel so sick.  I know it's a control thing.  I'm OK if I can control it but I'm now going to hear it so much... what have others done in this situation to help cope?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Hearing my abusers name

Oh no, @Catiepiller  😞

I can understand this.

All I can think of is getting long-term healing through counselling...this might ease the pain a bit? Do you have a psychologist or counsellor? T

Hey @Catiepiller sorry that this has happened. Can’t imagine having to hear my abusers name so much. Don’t really have any answers for you other than agreeing with what @NatureLover  has said in that healing may make it easier. 

I said one of my abusers names out loud for the first time in many many years this week and then had my psychologist say it too. It was both hard to say and hear, thankfully it’s not a modern name and not used much. 

Again I’m sorry that you are faced with this and will have to hear it so much 😞

Fully understand I can’t even say it and I really struggle with the name. Lucky I don’t know anyone with the name. Feel sick when I hear it and ashamed. Sending positive vibes. So proud you have found a way to handle the name when you are prepared that is a great step forward.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance