Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Having mi and parenting an asd child

Hi all,

Will be posting this in carers forum too.

I have alot of mi stuff and it gets challenging being a parent but now teachers and drs believe that my Mr 6 has autism. I know what autism is like having a younger brother with it. But despite practically raising my brother it still feels daunting that he could have it. 

Another issue I have is his dr talking about all the medication he should be on if he is diagnosed. I don't want him to go on medication and I don't think he needs it.

Anyone got some advice?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Having mi and parenting an asd child

Hi @Former-Member ,

i didn’t know medication was used for ASD. I just googled it and found this page that might be helpful. I have no experience with it at all.

https://raisingchildren.net.au/autism/therapies-services/therapies-interventions/medications-asd

@Former-Member  Hi BabyDragon my son2 has autism diagnosed 2 1/2 daughter with aspergers. What I found helpful for son2 when he was in primary years was fish oil supplements, diet free of preservatives where possible as autistic children are renown to have gut problems, gluten free diet where possible, ear training (works well for sensitive hearing) , lots of social contact (don't let them 'stim') ..... that is all I can think of right now. 

I never gave my son2 or daughter medications for their autism when they were younger. It is different now they are in their twenties and have other problems for which they have medications psychosis and depression etc but not for autism. I hope this helps a bit greenpeaxxx

Thanks @Teej I will have a read of it.

@greenpea I totally get gut problems he is on a high fiber diet, has big problems with constipation.

Ear training is something I will look into he has sensitive hearing I have to know the days the school does fire or lock down drills so I can keep him home because I have had to pick him up before as the teacher could not settle him

@Former-Member  yes the ear/hearing training worked well  Took about a week to complete cost about $1k (many years ago now) and the earlier done the better.  My son used to get major gut problems has calmed down alot but now has pseriousis which I think is all linked to his gut same with daughter. If it is not one thing it is another with asd kids.

@Former-Member 

My son was diagnosed with aspergers. Not medicated til other issues emerged in 20s.

I did not think it was particularly common to give meds, but perhaps it depends on the level.

I have spoken to one teacher who was keen on a difficult student being medicated,  but generally I think 6 is a bit young.  There is a lot of difference between 6 and 20 and meds.  Maybe some of the Autism websites or Australian organsiations can advise.

Take Care

@Appleblossom there is a specific med that they want to put him on my brother was on it for about 6 months before we stopped it. My my brother stopped talking and went backwards he was also constantly drowsy. I absolutely refuse to do that to my son. 

After a bit of research I also discovered that it is not even an asd med it is an ADHD med

Maybe an autism organisation in your state or city would give you support to work through the issues with the doc and school.

I am not sure what to do, or what rights you have, but I am Hearing You and nodding agreement.   There are Disability Advocates ... Try and get support from people in the system who are less med mad.

@Former-Member 

Really frustrated with this process right now I mean first I was told that the peadiatrician comes to the local hospital every three months and now I'm being told that I will have to travel to them. With my partner unable to get the time off work and I can't drive I have to a six year old who freaks out about the bus tipping over at every corner on a 4 hour bus ride with no stops.

They also had me fill out an observation sheet about my son's behavioral characteristics which I was fine with but I have to find out from the his teacher that she was sent an observation questionnaire as well

Shouldn't they have told they were doing that anyway the results of those came back with an 80% chance of him having Asperger's or high functioning autism

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance