Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Jlol
Senior Contributor

Feeling really disillusioned with treatment

I'm not wealthy so making the decision to see a psychiatrist was one I didn't make lightly.

I was surprised at how strange it was. I kinda feel like I got screwed round.

Went for a consultation ($140) where I just spoke about how I felt. Towards the end he got me to do a 20 question survey and get a blood test.

My follow up appointment was about 1.5 months later ($50). He simply tallied up the score from the survey, looked up the corresponding drug in a big book and gave me a script.

I then bought the medication ($70) and had an immediate bad reaction to it (nausea, vomiting, headaches, drowsiness). I rang up the psychiatrist who simply said 'Yeah sometimes that happens. Stop taking it.'

So now I'm back to square 1 and now $260 poorer.

Please tell me they're not all like this!?
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Feeling really disillusioned with treatment

Hi @Jlol

I havent seen a pyschiatrist for therapy but this is what they did for an "assessment" except the blood test with me.  It was a one of visit where I had already completed the questionaire and we just talked about issues and me and medication.

Was it meant to be an assesment or ongoing therapy?

I have had bad experiences with the system as such especially going once to the ED for mental health issues (I have BPD) and felt something was wrong but they just ignored me but where you are could be better.

I have decided for myself that I will keep out of the "system"  as it just made me worse but I do intend on going for annual "assessments"  to ensure that all is ok.

Oh yeah the system in this country is terrible! I mean, in QLD where I am the treatment for self harmers is to have them arrested by the police and locked in a psych triage ward for few hours until they promise not to do it again.

Man I feel I'm in the wrong Li

I hope they are not all like that @Jlol

Take your time, trust your instincts.  If they are not delivering .. dont let them have your money or the govt payment. My old good GP kept telling me to try them out and not settle.  We have to vote with our feet and not make appointments with people who are not helping .. in the helping profession.

Try someone else!

I have had some like that. I've also had one who saw me twice. The second time she saw me she declared that I seemed to be alot better now and that I didn't need to see her anymore...I have Bipolar?! It's not like that one time is going to be a typical everyday thing.

I went to the Black Dog Institute in Randwick for all my diagnosis and medication reviews if my usual GP thought something was up. Is there anything similar near you?

Dear Jlol, 

Sounds as if you had a really bad experience with a bad psychiatrist. Theyare not all like that. I have been seeing the same psychiatrist for 20 years and trust him absolutely. The trouble is, how do you find a good one? I am afraid that unless you can find someone you trust to recommend someone then it is a matter of trial and error. A psychiatrist operating out of a mental hospital or clinic is a good bet - they are working with other psychiatrists all the time, and the bad ones get weeded out.Maybe ring the mental health department of your nearest big hospital and ask for a recommendation.

I am sorry you had such a terrible experience. But no, they are not all like that!

Ellu

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance