Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Feeling desperate, bewildered and a host of other feelings.

Enjoy the day out with your friend. All the best and warm regards

I'm feeling so broken and hopeless right now but reading your experiences - so similar to my own - has really helped. Thank you so much for sharing your stories. On nights like tonight, they really make a difference. I've just given my 25 year old daughter (bipolar, ptsd, anxiety and depression) an ultimatum - stay home and work on wellness or leave home. She is less than a week out of hospital (following a 2 week staying after 2 suicide attempts in one week) and refuses to help herself. She tells me she's given up. She still takes her meds and sees her psychiatrist but refuses to use any skills to manage her illness. I have bipolar 2 myself so I know how hard it can be to fight when you're exhausted. This current crisis cycle has been going on for over 2 years and I'm nearing the point of collapse. I've put off seeing a psychologist for so long so that I could afford to care for her. I recently started seeing someone again because I was barely coping. I feel like I'm carrying all the emotional burden. It's always been the two of us - from conception to now - so we are incredibly close. Giving her this ultimatum is so hard for me because I am so used to problem solving for her. I'm trying to put the burden of the responsibility on her now - to make her the hero of her story instead of the victim but it's incredibly hard. My heart is breaking.

hello @FightLikeAGirl, @rosemary1, @Lexie, @Former-Member

how are you today my friends HeartHeart

I have experimented looking at over 55 villages and talking about the issues generally without going into specifics until I can get proper support for our family. 

My gosh I could have written this. I am so sorry that the situation has reached this stage with your daughter and that you are trying to deal with this siuation on you own. I hope you are having a better day today. I am also on my own and like you feel absolutely drained with the situation with my 31 year old girl. I have given my girl a similar ultimatum as I don't know how much longer I can keep going. Today she has spent all day in bed saying she doesn't feel good. Looking at her today I doubt that I would be able to make her leave as she literally has no one else she can turn to. She is not in a good financial situation (has debts) and therefore would find it almost impossible to live independently. My daughter has had mental health issues for a number of years. She came back to live with me about 6 months ago. She suffers from depression and anxiety. The anxiety is the main issue for her at present. Our situation is a bit unusual as I (sometimes with her support) are looking after 27 animals all rescued, many of whom were rescued by her over a ten year peiriod. She loves them but now she is back home is giving me minimal support with them or any houselhold chores. I try to be patient but ever so often I lose my cool and get furious with her as I need minimal support around the house. You mentioned that your daughter is very unmotivated and I can relate to this with my girl. She almost seems incapable of doing even small things that might make her feel better eg exercising, eating well, not going onto google and FB for hours a day. She needs a lot of help to manage her life eg budgeting, getting car serviced, remembering appointments etc etc I feel like you that I have to be one step ahead - lots of problem solving like you are doing. I am not having to deal with suidcide attempts so can not imagine how horrific this must be for you (and her). I hope you see this message - take care.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance