Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Marulu
Contributor

Fear of failure help please

I am trying to prepare for an interview on Friday but find myself wanting to cancel the interview and withdraw my application. 

In my last job I was discriminated against and told my productivity was lower than expected. My depression and anxiety got worse due to high pressure job so I resigned. 

Basically I am really anxious that I will be criticized in my next job and wonder if Working is just too much for me at the moment. 

Any ideas for self-help phrases I can say to myself or journal prompt questions that might help me to get through this fear of failure?

5 REPLIES 5
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Fear of failure help please

Just go for it @Marulu @and see what happens. I’m on the same boat as you… I just got a new job at a workplace that claims it’s “equal opportunity workplace”. My last job I ran into a narcissist and had to tell the manager that she was bullying me, but he said she was just invading your personal space. The rest of the colleagues would bump into me on purpose but after a while it was some sort of weird initiation that I think was the company culture. I stayed there 4-5 months and hoping this workplace is better or at least more accepting. I’ve had a total of 11 jobs and this will be my 14th year. And never have I experienced a workplace like that.. next boring job I get I’m going to do my best to stay there. So for your question I suggest just go for it… I’m glad I’m not alone on my journey to the workplace with MH concerns

Hi @Marulu  and welcome to the forums today.

I’m sorry you’re feeling anxious about your upcoming interview and prospect of what could happen in a new position.

During my career I have been on many panels and interviewed hundreds of nervous applicants. I’ve seen every type of emotion imaginable from applicants at interviews and most underestimate their own capabilities.

It’s an achievement to reach the interview so congratulations for that! I realise when you’ve had a bad a bad work experience it can make us even more anxious that it will happen again. Chances are it won’t.

Tell yourself daily you deserve this interview and on the day dress up, show up and go for it!!

All the best ❤️

Hi @Marulu ,

How are you going? Happy to chat about your interview/application if you want.

Otherwise, I just wanted to make sure you are okay because we haven’t heard from you since Friday.

Take care,

tyme

I would say just go for it. You can always quit and find a different job if you don't like it. If you don't take chances you will never find where you fit. 

I struggled for years to feel comfortable in my job due to anxiety. I had horrendous insomnia. However, I finally feel comfortable and grateful for the work. Give yourself a chance.

If you do fail, so what? You will only be where you are now. There will not be any long term repercussions. It happens to everyone. 

@I-can 

Hi thanks for replying to my post. What you said is very helpful.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance