Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Katana
Contributor

Dilemma

Hi to whoever is around

I usually avoid forums and the like... I avoid people in general tbh but I'm struggling right now and there's noone I can voice issues to that won't create more issues. 

I have been struggling with my own mental health for years after sustaining a spinal injury, my parents even moved in to take care of me... ikr it's supposed to go the other way  as you get older but nope.. I need full time care, the problem with that is my 60+ year old father is now acting as carer to myself and my mother who has Acute Complex PTSD. She's a lovely woman normally but now she's spiralling, she's refusing to take meds, despondent and downright emotionally abusive to Dad. 

I'm at a lose, my safe place is gone and I don't know how to get thing back to any sort of status quo... I don't recognise this woman tbh she's never been malicious during her episodes. .. until now. I don't want to be the "witch" who starts proceedings to put her in hospital but I can't see any other options right now... she won't even take her counsellors phone calls, oh and to top it off we're isolated because of major health risk factors... sorry thats a long rant.. but I'm trying desperately to keep myself from spiralling with her (I'm not as nice as her when I do)

7 REPLIES 7
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Dilemma

Hi @Katana , sorry you have been put in this really tough dilemma. I have Complex PTSD and know the importance of the meds and regular contact with both my psychologist and counsellor.  Being isolated is not going to help at all. You need to do what you feel is right tfor her well being and that of yourself and your dad. I am not sure how much help I have actually been. 

Thank you for responding, we finally have her talking so that's progress.  I appreciate the support, I was really lost, so thank you.

nashy
Senior Contributor

Hi @Katana really hard to experience that feeling of your safe space being gone, it's important that we all have a safe space either within ourselves or also somewhere external. How have things been going with your mother since posting? Have you ever thought about chatting to one of the counsellors at the SANE Help Centre? They're open until 10pm weekdays and have a lot of insight into complex family dynamics, as well as complex PTSD.

Have you ever seen the work of Jeff Foster or Matt Licata? Would love to hear what you think of them if you do ever come across their writing. Hope to speak again soon Heart

Hi @nashy 

Sorry for taking so long to respond. Mum was improving a little but she's had another episode so we're right back where we were when I posted last time.  I'm stuck, there's nothing I can do and nowhere I can go. I can't call the helpline because I have zero privacy here and saying how I feel will just set her off again.  I don't think I have read their stuff.  I'll look around I guess.

Hi, just wondering if you were able to resove the situation with your mum and her acute complex ptsd and whether there is improvements with your situations/circumstances 

Hi, sorry for taking so long to respond. We were travelling well for a little bit. Unfortunately in October she was diagnosed with breast cancer and will begin chemo in a few days, last night she had another episode and has yet to emerge from her room today.  It's a constant cycle, we are right back at the bottom again.

Ripples
Senior Contributor

Hi there, I have spinal I injuries too. Life is tough. My mum and dad have had to rehabilitate me. I have had to put my ego aside to ask for help outside the family. I have had to accept getting the NDIS so that my dying patents didn't have to worry about what would happen to me. The trick is to interact with the world rather than retreat from it. Did you know that you can ring your local city council for information on what services are out there to help you?

I wish you well in your endeavours. Chill out, listen to some nice music, eat some good food and get help to go out.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance