Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Reft21
Casual Contributor

Depressed

Hello

I have major depression. It's very lonely at times and I don't share this with many people. I have ongoing suicidal thoughts and the meds don't stop that. Anyone else here deal with this. I am safe. No plans to do anything 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Depressed

I also suffer major depression, due to a work accident. Currently I am waiting approval for surgery to correct a major problem. I have had a total of 10 surgeries to correct this and have 1 more scheduled and hopefully fix it. My surgeon has sent off a request to worksafe to have this done. They tell me it is complicated and has to go through many hands to get approved. The evidence is there and very clear, so I can't understand why. I am very depressed and in pain 24/7. I apologise for rambling on but I needed to vent my problem. 

Hi @Reft21 Often the first step is the hardest so thanks for reaching out to us. I can hear that you feel alone with your depression so you've come to the right place. Many of us here experience the same or similar issues, so I hope you will find some support here. Tagging some others who might be able to lend an ear. @Shaz51 @Anastasia @Flying_Hams @ShiningStar @AussieRecharger @Zoe7 @Judi9877 

Thanks for letting us know you are safe 💝

@Plugger Welcome and thank you for supporting your fellow peer here. Please vent whenever you like, this is what we are here for. Pain is such a difficult one and it can really impact our metal health. Recently on the forums we have had a few people posting about physical pain and how it impacts them so you are definitely not alone, but in saying that I don't want to take away how unique that experience is for you and we are here to listen if you want to talk about it more. I don't have the answers but I wanted to share a thread with you that @outlander started on chronic pain. You can find it here and something else related here . You may get something out of it just by reading or you may want to join a discussion. 

Take care 🙏

Hello @Reft21 , @Plugger and welcome to the forum 

Letting you know that you are not alone my friends 

My husband had major depression first before his other diagnosis 

We can not say what meds we are on, but he was put on anti depressants which did not help very much,  it was not until he was put on anti anxiety meds as well that it helped a bit 

Please talk to your doctor,  keeping a mood diary is good 

@utopia @Paperdaisy 

G'day @Reft21
Nice to meet you

G'day @Plugger
Good to see you and meet you

@Reft21 @Plugger 

I too have Major Depressive Disorder. Every depressive episode comes with intense suicidal urges. My Psychiatrist and I spent years trying many antidepressants at different doses, with little to no relief. But we persisted. In August 2020 he added a mood stabiliser (cannot mention medication names here), to add to my very high dose antidepressant. Within days I went into complete remission. No further depressive episodes, no symptoms, no suicidal thoughts. It was like being reborn. My life went from one of complete darkness, struggling just to breathe and survive each day, to one where the light shone. I could get out of bed. Talk with people, and actually feel emotions, including happiness. It was life changing.

All this time I had a great Psychologist who was teaching me skills to try not to focus on the negatives, to ignore the self critisms my mind played with me contantly. And to teach me ways to live a full and healthy life. But when you are in a current severe episode, it feels impossible to use these skills. Once I was in remission I was able to incorporate these skills into my daily lifestyle.

Life isn't perfect now. There is no such thing. I have had to learn how to deal with emotions without feeling intense pain and shutting myself down. But I am doing it. I am still yet to find a job. Hard to come by in regional areas, and Covid hasn't helped. But fingers crossed it will happen soon. I even went on a trip to Melb on a train (trains and crowds are big triggers of mine), to see an artist perform. It was geat.

I guess my advice is, work really closely with your Psychiatrist. Ask what medication might be added to your anti depressant, to help it along. My mood stabiliser was originally used to treat Major Depression before safer anti depressants came along. It does carry some very serious side effects. But I am now on half dose from my original dose and still no symptoms. We will stop this medication next year, and hope that the anti depressants alone are enough to control my MDD.

Be sure to keep up with regular Therapy. It does help.

WorkCover. Aaarrrggghhh!!!! My incident was work related which sent my mental health spiralling. Generally WorkCover, just like most insurance companies, will refuse your request for treatment. Don't worry about this. Resubmit your request. The 2nd time, most requests get approved. If they play hardball, and they often will, get a lawyer who will do all the fighting on your behalf. I went with a no win no fee lawyer. In the end, after 6 long years, I won my case, out of court, for pain and suffering. I was awarded $150 thousand. Lawyer took $40 k. I walked away with $110 thousand. And they still pay me a percentage of my original income, plus all Psychological services that I need, including Private Psych Hospital of my choice.

So don't give up. When you are too tired to fight, have a friend, family member or a lawyer fight on your behalf.

Life can and does get better.

Thanks for the heads up @Shaz51

Thanks for your support, what is the best psychiatric hospital you have found
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance