Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: D.I.D....

@Smc  trust today is a better day for you...

Thinking of you and family. 

Smc
Senior Contributor

Hope so @Determined. She rang last night wanting us to drive her and her brother into a doctor's clinic half an hour away which she thought was open until 10- her for a suspected UTI, him because it sounds like he's coming down with a cold. But we got her to double check, and turned out they closed at 8. I checked up online, and her symptoms are probably part of the aftermath of the latest incident.

Suggested she ring Nurse On Call for ideas to treat then symptoms. Somehow she ended up with the Poisons Information Line telling her that after that incident she should be recovering in hospital not at home. And they filled her in on some other possible after effects that we weren't going to mention due to her history of "adopting" suggested disorders. We discouraged the idea of going back to the hospital. Told her to ring ER and ask first. Am hoping that with her file in front of them they could confidently tell her that she's OK to be at home.

So I can see that somehow she unconsciously needs to feel like she's in an ongoing full blown ambulances and emergency department crisis situation. What I don't get is how she seems to be able to get medical professionals to be complicit in it?? I'm not there to hear what she says on these assorted phone helplines, but they almost always end up with her being told to call an ambulance. 😞

Am very tired of living in a mini-warzone.

@Smc 

Hug.JPG

Smc
Senior Contributor

Ta @Determined.
She did end up going in again last night. Tests and x-rays came back all clear.

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Smc 

Continuing to keep you in thoughts and prayers.

images (52).jpg

Smc
Senior Contributor

Thanks @Former-Member.

Incidents of SH are continuing, i think a coulple of times this past week. At the moment though, they're consistently happening in a dissociated state, so it's hard to know what her "intent" is.

The dissociation is of concern. The complete "tuning out" before, during and sometimes for a little while after the incidents means that she feels as if she genuinely has no control over what happens. I don't know if she realises that dissociation is a way of abrogating self-responsibility. Yes, in that state of mind, a person can be genuinely unaware of and not in control of their actions, but there is a point of slipping into the state where she needs to learn to fight to retain conscious control. We've spent years watching her slip further and further into a sense of helplessness, and it's gotten so entrenched that it wil be seriously difficult for her to regain command of herself. It's a dangerous place for her to be in.

We got a call yesterday morning re. one of the SH incidents. Having gotten basic details off her, we went to a friend's wedding, and enjoyed it very much, despite the somewhat poignant reminder of the "better or worse.... sickness and health" part of the vows. Because in a way, those vows also extend to the children of the marriage. Have never regretted the marriage, but wouldn't mind a stretch of "better" and "healthy" for a while. And enough "richer" to not need Centrelink...

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Smc 🌸🌷🌹

@Smc  💐🙏

@Smc 

Continuing to think of you and family 🙏

Former-Member
Not applicable

Checking in @Smc 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance