Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Smc
Senior Contributor

Re: D.I.D....

So the news is, she's realised some of her expenses will now be covered by her NDIS funding, which creates "wriggle room" in her budget. Today's conversation has been around saving to cover bond and a month's rent plus-a-bit, and whether she can ask her carer to schedule a 5 minute welfare telephone check up on days when she doens't see anyone. Limiting it to a short call both so it's not too much of the carer's time (I didn't say it, but "how has your day been" can stretch out to a very long conversation) and also so that it's less on an intrusion into Older Daughter's day. And re-emphasising that she can't have emergency services turning up at her door all the time... so try to put something in place to forestall that.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Quick check on how you are doing @Smc 

Smc
Senior Contributor

Not too bad for now, @Former-Member. Older Son and Older Daughter seem to be making sensible progress towards plans for her moving out, and he's been making some very nice meals for himself.

We're trying to work out at the moment if we can fit in a trip up to see my parents before Younger Daughter goes back to school. When she returns, that's when we'll be more at risk of catching colds, and the aged care home won't let us visit if we have any form of sniffle or cough. It's not worth the risk... and we'll need to get our flu shots before then too. The medical clinic didn't have enough when I asked a while back, but we've kept forgetting to get back to them. 

Hope you and Mr. D are going OK back at home?

@Smc  thinking of you and trust all is as well as it can be. 

Smc
Senior Contributor

@Determined, all so-so at the moment. She's still in and out of Emergency for various reasons, some of which we'd consider would be more appropriately dealt with at a daytime doctors' appointment instead of middle of the night at the hospital. Others being the continuing pattern of SH/maybe SA?.

We've been busy doing productive stuff around the house and garden, which is nice. But in the background, struggling with having run out of "what/how to do/say/think" about Older Daughter's situation. Sometimes we barely even respond emotionally because we don't know how to respond any more. Sympathy feeds into her "me as a martyr" mindset, confrontation needs to be handled sooooo carefully or it makes things worse.... Redirecting the conversations to get her thinking outside her own mindset helps sometimes, but isn't always do-able. Classic carer burnout, methinks?

Smc
Senior Contributor

@Determined @Former-Member @outlander @Faith-and-Hope @Shaz51 

Am going to be absent or mostly for a week, at least. My Mum is in hospital with a urinary tract infection gone nasty. It's got as far as her kidneys, and they've picked up signs of her blood being infected too. If the treatment they've got her on now doesn't work, more invasive options are not really possible. Her general health isn't up to it. So the next 24 hours will tell... we're preparing for the possibility of a family funeral.

Will be traveling up with Hubby, Sister and Younger Daughter. Older Daughter may be in a bit of a risky state of mind at the moment. Anyone who wants to pray, we'd welcome it.

Sending heaps of love and hugs @Smc 💙💜💖💚
Former-Member
Not applicable

@Smc 🙏 will the tightening of restrictions affect your travel plans?

ohhh sending you tender understanding hugs my friend @Smc ❤❤🧡🧡💛💛💚💚💙💙💜💜💓💓

Smc
Senior Contributor

Thanks all... @Former-Member, shouldn't do so. The recommendations re. travel seem to have remained the same, and we're going from one regional area with no known cases to another ditto. Not crossing any state borders, and if anyone asked, we'd well and truly qualify as having compasionate grounds. But indoor gatherings having been wound back again means if there's a funeral, we'll have to keep it small.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance