Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Jaz5
Senior Contributor

Cbt

Hi all 

Where do I start? Around October 2019 I started feeling like I needed a break from work. since my last  break from work was Easter so April 2019 my son was mucking up at school,teachers ringing atleast once if not more times a week. My son getting suspended I'm a disability support worker so I think I let it all build up and did nothing about it. I have 3 boys and a husband always thought about them before myself. 
we had 10 days off over the Xmas break which I started feeling good. Then bam time to go back to work. I think I should have gotten help sooner. I've been having panic attacks, numbness,dizziness,nausea, headaches you name it ive had it 

I've been so stressed my blood pressure has gotten high. Which I think is worrying me more and more (I have health anxeity) 

I just feel like I can't live like this anymore I'm emotional I'm scared something awful will happen to me 

today I made an appointment for some cbt 

I'm  really hoping it's works as I honestly can't keep living this way. It's exhausting,emotional, distressing and I hate it 

sorry for the long post.  I was just wondering how long does it take for cbt to start working roughly.. fingers crossed it works for me   Thanks for reading 

5 REPLIES 5
nashy
Senior Contributor

Re: Cbt

Hey @Jaz5 what a great question. I'd be happy to share some insight and I am sure the rest of the community will chime in soon as well Heart I wanted to say I am sorry to hear about all of these stressors you're up against, it sounds like a lot of external events took their toll but huge props to you on seeking out CBT and support. It can all shift into a positive direction from here, many of our forum members can vouch 🙂 We are all here to listen as you need.

CBT in my view, is really like the gym for your brain. It can take time for the mind to recondition, new patterns to emerge and the habit of observing your thoughts in the moment to really instil. Everyone is different, for some it's a few years and others a few months. I find with therapeutic strategies, you really get out of the work what you put in. Catching yourself in an unhelpful thinking pattern, the more frequently it's done - the more the brain is re-trained 🙂 I am sure others have their own experiences and perspectives too which I look forward to hearing!

Jaz5
Senior Contributor

@nashy  thanks for your opinion really appreciate it. I know there is no magic quick fix and it will take time. I'm proud of myself for finally seeking help as I've left it far too long.  I don't talk to anyone how I'm feeling I keep it to myself so hoping this will help me

Lemonjuice
Senior Contributor

@Jaz5  CBT is a great tool, but be warned, it doesn't work for everyone.  Try it out, if it works great and if it doesn't don't lose hope, there are other things you can do.  Your life seems fairly hectic, sometimes, some of the anxiety can come from simple things like not enough sleep or regular meals, not enough fibre or water, etc.  After years of suffering constant migraines and panic attacks, I realised a lot of the triggers had to do with not drinking enough water and missing meals.  Anyway, try a bit of everything, sleep more, eat better and CBT, see how it all goes.  

Jaz5
Senior Contributor

@Lemonjuice  I have done cbt before around 7 years ago. and it worked then so fingers crossed it will work again. 
I think it works for me because I don't tell anyone around me I have anxeity. I sort of suffer in silence. Stupid I know as the people around me would be supportive. I just can't bring myself to tell them. 

My life is a tad hectic. I think the thing that is triggering it is my muscle tension. 

so my muscles are that tight I think I actually have a trapped nerve somewhere as I'm getting a little bit of numbness in face 

same thing happened to me a few months back but it was my lower back that was tight and my skin went numb 

so I think this is what is triggering my anxeity. I have health anxeity so any new symptom I get I freak out and think the worst and google it 

Lemonjuice
Senior Contributor

Good luck.💓
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance