Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Bea
Senior Contributor

Case Management

LO living alone, but dependant on Support Workers for ADLs.

Many gaps in service, short staffed, sick leave etc. This happens but main issue appears to be LO requires help to arrange their support. 

Executive functioning deficits mean trouble with planning ahead, booking workers, dealing with changes (replacements, cancellations). 

An overseer is needed to arrange all the care. Not just provide Agencies but for daily/weekly bookings & changes. 

Can a Case Management type service do this? I have heard of Geriatric Case Management - is there something similar for younger? (NDIS funded). 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Case Management

Hi there @Bea 

Does the LO have a support coordinator? They are basically what the title says, a coordinator or services. A really good one will get to know your LO and develop a great relationship with them so they can have a comprehensive understanding of services and needs that the person needs. They'll organise cancellations/service changes etc too. Does that sound like what you might be looking for? https://www.ndis.gov.au/participants/using-your-plan/who-can-help-start-your-plan/support-coordinati... 

I used to work for the NDIS as a support coordinator so ask away with any questions.

Hanami

heya @Bea, I don't have any experience with this, but thought I'd back up @hanami with a few other resources too. 

Firstly, this sounds like a really challenging time! There seem like some things here which make the plan harder and I'm so glad you're trying to find a way to make it work better!

Here are a few ideas

• Carers Australia also has a lot of info on this. This page here has some info on getting others to manage the plan
  • You could also call Carers Gateway to see if they have any ideas

I thought I'd tag some other carers just in case they have something to offer too @Shaz51 @Determined @Krishna @tired_sisyphus ❤️ 

Thanks Hanani,

Yes there currently is a Care Co-Ordinator. Have found this resource person can have a good wide overall view of services +  locating new agencies/services. 

What's needed is organisation  at the smaller end. At the daily nitty-gritty level.  

TuxedoCat, I have called Care Gateway a few times before -  went around a few times without the specific advice I needed. That was in the NDIS startup days, so always worth another go.. Thanks.

The circumstance is the person is living alone, but very dependant on daily support. Lacks planning & processing skills to arrange things at the daily level eg staff delay/cancellations, find a backup etc. 

So basically I see this as A. a responsible person needs to take this on or B. Time to move into supported accommodation. 

LO want to remain at home. This is I suppose attempting 'least resistive measure' before a move is forced. 

Hi @Bea  My daughters NDIS support worker organises everything for her. Perhaps this is what you’re looking for? Best of wishes xx

PS the Care Co-Ordonator CAN set up a weekly plan. But CANNOT meet the high needs of ringing around various agencies to fill gaps every 2nd day plus constant changes for Doc, dentist, multi other appointments & outings.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance