Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Sasanqua
Casual Contributor

Burnt out and anxious

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting. I am a teacher and I have a psychosocial disability (I have several mental health diagnoses). I've experienced burn out before in my job, in 2016 and again last year. Holidays are finishing tomorrow, and I go back to school on Tuesday, but I feel absolutely sick when I think about going back. I'm scared I'm burnt out again less than a year after the last time. I don't know what to do, and I don't know how I'll get out of bed on Tuesday. I am just completely overwhelmed. 

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Burnt out and anxious

Hi @Sasanqua ,

We have a number of teachers on the forums, and I'm sure they are/or have felt what you are currently feeling.

Many teachers experience burnout within the first 5 years of their career. It is important to pace yourself and realise that you can only do what you can do. For some states, it's agreed 38+2 hours (full time), and no more. If the work cannot be done in this time, then release will be arrange of other supports.

Boundaries are so important for teachers. Teachers have lives too! Holiday periods are the only holidays teachers get - hence make the most of it, rather than worry about what needs doing. Some things teachers have done is set strict home and school boundaries. Laptop does not go home, even if it means arriving at school a little earlier or staying a little later to get the work done. 

Another thing, turn off school notifications on your personal phone. After 5pm is your time. You are not indebted to your job. The day you 'burn out', they will replace you with another teacher.

Also, whatever state you teach in, they should have Employee Assistance Program services available to you. Have a look into that.

First day back jitters? The kids get it too. It's absolutely okay. Rather than stress yourself out for being stressed on the first day, perhaps enjoy your last few days of holidays, and jump back in on Tuesday. That way, you'll feel the jitters for only a few hours before, rather than days/weeks before? I don't know - I'm just brainstorming ideas.

All the best. Look forward to hearing how you go.

Here are other teachers for you @Zoe7 @BPDSurvivor - do you get first day back jitters too?

tyme

Hi @Sasanqua
I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing burn out. I also teach and have struggled with managing my mental health and work load. Teaching is a job that unless you have done it, is hard to understand. I also find the mental toll is huge and exhausting. It's not always the 'hours worked' that take the toll either but the level of or number of challenges that come with the beurocratic side of the job, and then there is the emotional load that comes with the different groups of kids. For me, the pressure comes from the number of needs that kids have and feeling so much that i need to meet all those needs. I also sometimes dread and fear work but also have to work! I love 'my' kids too and the balancing act is super hard. You're not alone.

Thank you for sharing @Millieme  - it's so true what you have said.

Hi @Sasanqua Unfortunately, as teachers, we have a lot to deal with above our own needs. Having MH issues/diagnoses is another added layer to what is a very demanding, tiring and full on job. We do need to set some boundaries but we also know our day does not finish when the kids leave.

I set aside the same time each evening to catch up on work - I am quite rigid with that - so prioritising the needs versus the 'can waits' is essential. There are of course those times when we need to do more ie. reporting times but that goes with the job. I also do not have email or other apps for class/school news on my phone - which means that if I do not log in via my computer then I do not get messages until I am back at work the next day. It is also a good idea to not respond to any messages after a certain time - for me it is usually a 7pm cut-off but that is the absolute latest. That then gives me time to shut off from the day, put it behind me and decompress with my fur babies.

As for burn out - yes been there and it is very hard to drag yourself out of bed and into work. I had just over 2 years off and then went back part-time for a while until I was feeling a lot better and more able to cope with full time again. I also changed schools as the one I had been at for a lot of years was a very toxic environment for anyone, let alone someone dealing with personal issues as well. 

Unfortunately, we do not do 38 + 2 hours - that is just not sustainable in our job - and there is not widely support to give us more time in the day. Teaching has so much more become one that the admin side of things require nearly as much time as our actual teaching the kids and yet that is neither recognised by 'the powers that be' nor factored into our actual contact hours. It does become a balancing act and a very careful consideration of our time to even begin to come close to accomplishing all we need to. 

As for going back on Tuesday - I hear you. I am in a much better place now (physically, emotionally and the school I am at) and actually look forward to work but there was a time that I used to have severe anxiety just getting in the car each morning because I did not want to go to work. I had to take time off regularly and it impacted my ability to do my job adequately. Then I got sick and my whole world crashed - being off work for so long though gave me some perspective and allowed me to go back in a much better place. The road to get there was so hard though, and so many of us here especially would never have imagined I would get back to work from the place I was in - especially me. 

Do you have leave that you could take at present? If you are feeling burn out (even a little bit), then looking after yourself is the priority. You cannot be what you need to be to others if you are not being all you need to be to yourself. I used to be one of those people that would push myself to the limits (and beyond) because I felt that was what was needed (and expected by most) but the time off certainly helped to find a better balance and realise that work is not everything ...we can be easily replaced in our job but not in life 💗

Hi and welcome, @Sasanqua , it's good to have you here. 🙂

I've suffered burnout twice in my life, and it's incredibly debilitating. I really feel for you. 

I think the only thing you can do is rest and recover, sadly. 

@tyme  I greatly like and respect you! 🙂 You are simply awesome here on the forums! But I think in this case, your vision sounds not realistic, to me, anyway... I grew up with 3 parents being teachers (mum, dad plus stepmum), plus my half-sister is currently a teacher (and has been thinking of giving it up for years, as it's too much). Seeing how they live, I deliberately chose not to go into teaching. 

@Sasanqua , I would be going to your GP on Tuesday morning for a doctor's certificate, if it was me...maybe another week or two off will help you to continue on this year. Wishing you the best of luck...

feeling Burnt out is never easy my advice is to just take one step at a time, one day at a time, and if thats even too hard to do just take one hour at a time ,focus and ask yourself what your needs are right now in this moment and above all follow your intuition, listen to your inner voice,it might tell you to simply be and rest,it might mean taking an extra day off work or a mental health day or self care day,it might mean doing something just for you, Journaling? a cup of coffee and cake? visiting a friend or someone you trust to just talk everything out with? maybe a spa day at home? a home cooked healthy meal? curling up to read a book while being comforted by keeping warm with a favourite blanket or Quilt?, sewing or knitting? ,spending time with pets? ,Painting? ,connecting with people on the forums? Mindfullness or Meditation? Yoga? word searches and crosswords? Craft? falling asleep while watching a fave movie or while listening to your fave music? a nice hot shower using your fave toiletries? to pamper yourself,playing games on your phone or computer? messaging or calling a friend or family member for a chat? treating yourself to some fave comfort food?, a skincare routine/facial?,going for a drive in the country? retail therapy? singing about your feelings? writting a letter to yourself that foccusses on kindness? just some ideas sending hugs to you💘🤗☮️💮🌻🌇🎴

Thanks for your thoughtful response, @tyme . I've actually said similar things to my colleagues, but I've never taken my own advice! It was helpful to hear it from someone else, so thank you for that. I'll try and touch base with my supervisor tomorrow. Luckily she is very supportive and understanding when it comes to mental health. It's good to know there are other teachers going through the same thing. Well, it isn't good actually, it's such a widespread problem, but it's comforting to know I'm not the only one struggling. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. 

Hi @Millieme , it's nice to hear from another teacher who understands! It's good to know I'm not alone, but at the same time it's actually really sad. Yes, the balancing act is so difficult. I'm grateful I have a strong support network in the real world, but also grateful for the support I've received from you and the other posters who responded to my post. Thank you for your message, it meant a lot to me.

Hi Don't know if this will help but here me out.

2012 i had a very bad accident wound up in icu for weeks then months in a rehab hospital learning to walk and use my left arm again. while there i had a total breakdown. To make a long story short i when back to work a very demanding and stressful job with many people depending on me' i shut down and total loss it. 

I had to do something or would not be here now. so i quit my job sold my house moved 450 klm away now live in a tiny country town and make welded metal art and wood bowls and sculptures. this i taught myself and to my surprise people buy them at local markets. I am now on a disability pension and my art supplement's this.

Yes i still have PSTD and depression but i am mostly in a better place and happier than i was most of my life. 

The bottom line if you are not happy and feel good where you are take a risk find what make YOU happy and look to new places.

Scorpion 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance